tripod heads compare

B

bearguide

i have been researching tripods, and now i need a great head to go with the tripod
manfrotto
494-------8.82 lbs capacity /at .049 lbs weight / $ 38
494rc2-----w/quick release / at .071 lbs weight /$ 46
496-----13.23 lbs capacity / at .071 lbs weight / $ 52
496rc2--13.23 lbs capacity / at .93 lbs weight- / $ 62
700rc2---5.51 lbs capacity / at 1.15 lbs weight / $ 72 video head
promaster 6160-11 lbs load / at 1.15 lbs weigth / $ 50
jim white------------------/ at .87 lbs weight- / $ 290
outdoorsman--------------/ at .64 lbs weight- / $ 390

what do you guys use and like
which ones are strong enough in the wind
best deal

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I don't know much about this but I have heard of Jim White and Outdoorsman heads as being top notch but also spendy, I like the manfrotto for quality (based on reviews I have read since this is all new to me) and price.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have the 494 on my velbon and the 700rc2 on my large manfrotto tripod I use for truck/atv based hunts. The 700 is nicer for panning and if you are actually "spotting" with the spotting scope, but I rarely do that. Its just about the lightest and cheapest fluid head manfrotto makes and still able to support a good sized scope. Given the choice I'd prefer the simple ball head. Though if shooting video and what not was something to consider a fluid head is king for panning a video camera. But I don't shoot much quality video. All my stuff ends up looking like the next Blair Witch project. :D

dotman

WKR
I have the 494 on my velbon and the 700rc2 on my large manfrotto tripod I use for truck/atv based hunts. The 700 is nicer for panning and if you are actually "spotting" with the spotting scope, but I rarely do that. Its just about the lightest and cheapest fluid head manfrotto makes and still able to support a good sized scope. Given the choice I'd prefer the simple ball head. Though if shooting video and what not was something to consider a fluid head is king for panning a video camera. But I don't shoot much quality video. All my stuff ends up looking like the next Blair Witch project. :D

Haha, Luke you could make millions off those videos :)

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I would highly recommend the Jim White tripod head. It's a very lightweight, smooth head great with a spotter or binos on top. Buy once, cry once.

OP
B

bearguide

i have heard great things about the jim white head, and i used one that a friend of mine has, and loved it. i am still looking

OP
B

bearguide

hay luke what about the 496, it holds more weight and weighs the same, and only $11 more

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm sure it'd work great!!! My spotting scope only weighs 4 pounds so the 494 is has twice the weight rating. That said if there isn't a weight penalty why not opt for the $11 more so the spotter would only be a 1/3 the weight rating. Only reason I went with the 494 was because I like quick lock plates so I can quickly set my spotting scope on and off of the tripod rather than threading it on and off. Minor difference, just more personal preference than anything. I like the 494 RC2 for me but BH photo shows much cheaper prices currently than you listed

Just so we are comparing apples to apples :D

494 is .49 pound (model w/o quick release)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660318-REG/Manfrotto_494_494_Mini_Ball_Head.html

496 is .71 pound (model w/o quick release)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660320-REG/Manfrotto_496_496_Compact_Ball_Head.html

494 RC2 is .71 (model with quick release)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660319-REG/Manfrotto_494RC2_494_Mini_Ball_Head.html

496 RC2 is .93 (model with quick release)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660321-REG/Manfrotto_496RC2_496RC2_Compact_Ball_Head.html

Last edited:
OP
B

bearguide

i like the quick release/ thanks for the help

OP
B

bearguide

i got the 700rc2 to try out. i am going to get the 494

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Found a brand new in box one I bought extra in my gun safe the other day, if you want it bearguide I can sell it to ya 10% cheaper than the lowest you can find on the internet plus free shipping. :D

OP
B

bearguide

thanks , i will try to see you in alaska, i am leaving today

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'll have to see ya on your return from the field, I'm out of town until the 23rd

OP
B

bearguide

i will be there till sun 27, i will call you

mtnkid85

WKR
Just bumping this older thread to see how you guys are liking that Manfrotto 700RC2 fluid head. Any updates?

Thinking of getting it to go along with the Slik sprint mini II tripod. Eventually I will be mounting a big 85mm Vortex HD Razor on it.

Thanks,