Tripod head recommendations

I have a German Berlebach wooden tripod that is rock solid. That's the Lincoln of tripods. The Rolls Royce is the Ries tripod, made in the Northwest USA. Wood has many advantages over carbon fiber or a metal. Weight is not one of them. Mine has a Korean ballhead with an xyz bubble level on it.

I’ve never ran into issues going back and forth between my Outdoorsman bino adapter and my spotter. I’ve never had to reindex swapping back and forth.
Are you using a Swarovski spotting scope with their Arca foot (not a plate attached to their foot)? Which model spotting scope are you using?

I use the plates for the VA5 head.
…..Okay, then your reply to my post (#18) was completely unrelated to what I was saying.

Specifically, the Arca foot width on Swarovski’s spotting scopes are undersized in comparison to many other manufacturers Arca compatible products. There isn’t a standardized industry spec for Arca plate/clamp dimensions. Really Right Stuff (RRS) has made an effort for standardization, by publishing the Arca specs their products are made to.

The generally slight dimensional differences aren’t usually a big problem, when dealing with attaching binos and spotters. The bigger issue shows up when attaching rifles to tripods and the subsequent plate/clamp movement under recoil.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
…..Okay, then your reply to my post (#18) was completely unrelated to what I was saying.

Specifically, the Arca foot width on Swarovski’s spotting scopes are undersized in comparison to many other manufacturers Arca compatible products. There isn’t a standardized industry spec for Arca plate/clamp dimensions. Really Right Stuff (RRS) has made an effort for standardization, by publishing the Arca specs their products are made to.

The generally slight dimensional differences aren’t usually a big problem, when dealing with attaching binos and spotters. The bigger issue shows up when attaching rifles to tripods and the subsequent plate/clamp movement under recoil.
I use a PIG mount to shoot from, so no issues there either.

Sounds like your issues would go away, if you actually used the plates.

Sounds like your issues would go away, if you actually used the plates.
You’re missing the point. The reason my recommendation is to not use the VA-5 head, and to use the Epic Outdoors head instead, is because the issues will go away. Along with gaining a few other overall improvements. Think of the EO head as a Gen 2 version of the VA-5. Of course, if you’re content using what you have, use it for glassing up turkeys, and be happy. My post was aimed at anyone who has identified the issues with the VA-5 head and is looking for an improvement. Or, the first time buyer who is interested in buying a better product, in comparison to the VA-5.

I’m partial to the Jim White head. Still have 2 that I bought from Jim around 2007. Not sure they are made anymore after Jim’s passing. Might find a used one with some extra plates come through the classifieds.

sooner07

Lil-Rokslider
You’re missing the point. The reason my recommendation is to not use the VA-5 head, and to use the Epic Outdoors head instead, is because the issues will go away. Along with gaining a few other overall improvements. Think of the EO head as a Gen 2 version of the VA-5. Of course, if you’re content using what you have, use it for glassing up turkeys, and be happy. My post was aimed at anyone who has identified the issues with the VA-5 head and is looking for an improvement. Or, the first time buyer who is interested in buying a better product, in comparison to the VA-5.
Do you know where I can find specs to compare the Epic Outdoors head to the VA-5? EO doesn't seem to have weight or any other information listed on their head on their website. Also is your issue with the VA-5 also applicable to the VA-5X? I'm looking at switching my heads up and seems like the VA-5X has a new jaw design and also uses a clamp instead of a knob which I really like.

Do you know where I can find specs to compare the Epic Outdoors head to the VA-5? …. Also is your issue with the VA-5 also applicable to the VA-5X?
I don’t have experience with the VA-5X. However, after having experience with the VA-5, then reading about the VA-5X and it’s changes, I still think the EO panning head is much better. Yes, Sirui changed the clamp, which is an improvement. But, my assumption is the return to level spring, super smooth fluidity and ergonomics are still better on the EO head. Aside from the VA-5X costing less…I wouldn’t have any reason to look at it, in comparison to the EO panning head. The EO handles big’ish optics really well (Swaro BTX 95mm) as well as lighter optics (NL Pure 8x / 14x and STC spotting scope).

I used the Tricer pan head this summer, it’s a nice small light unit. I used a sirui va5 before that, it’s a bigger heavier head, but much prefer it over the tricer for function and ease of use. If you’re not looking for ultralight weight, the va5 would be worth a look.
I never realized how heavy the VA-5 was until I put the Tricer LP on...night and day difference.

Still getting used to the handle twist lock though. Bino's have flipped over and pointed to the sky a few times.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m saying that I haven’t experienced any of the issues that you have had. And the “improvements” that you listed earlier didn’t seem like improvements to me. I guess it’s more of a personal preference thing than actual improvements. I don’t use a tripod or a spotter for glassing turkeys, but you glass them up ever how you like.

Samson7x

WKR
I never realized how heavy the VA-5 was until I put the Tricer LP on...night and day difference.

Still getting used to the handle twist lock though. Bino's have flipped over and pointed to the sky a few times.

I just got an LP and agree it’s crazy light. I think I’m gonna like it.

tracker12

WKR
I had a Manfrotto head then went to a LW head Chinese made head. The LW head is nice to carry but is no where as smooth as a my old Manfrotto. I tried the VA 5 and it is noice but I did not like the position of the knobs getting in the way of the handle. I do believe the new VA5x corrects a lot of what people did not like. I ended up going back to a Manfrotto 128RC head. Its heavier but works way better then any micro head I have used. If I was heading into there backcountry I may sacrifice function over weight. But otherwise I want better function and the LW ones just don’t do it for me.

I've used Sirui and Really Right Stuff fluid ballheads. but only for rifle shooting. I think if you set the pretension they're pretty great. I know a lot of people seem to like the pan head with the lever but I feel like a fluid ballhead will be smoother and more stable

Great thread from Oregon based FBG - ended up going with the Two Vets tension ball head - Crazy good gear, made is America and Veteran owned.