Tripod head recommendations

shedhunt

FNG
Good evening,

New to Rokslide. Looking to get some great feedback from others who always utilize a tripod to glass from. Honestly, I've never really taken to utilizing a tripod and want to make that a piece of gear I utilize going forward. I have a tripod but am looking for a good tripod head.
Would like to know what others are using and what features you looked for and what you like.
Thanks for any recommendations.

Decker9

WKR
I used the Tricer pan head this summer, it’s a nice small light unit. I used a sirui va5 before that, it’s a bigger heavier head, but much prefer it over the tricer for function and ease of use. If you’re not looking for ultralight weight, the va5 would be worth a look.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have a va5 and a Wiser head. The Wiser head is lighter, but I like the va5 better. The va5 has a safety built in it, so your optics won’t go flying off the head if you forget to tighten it down. I’ll use the Wiser head for binos and the va5 with get spotter scope duty.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For my 15 power binos on a tripod I use a lightweight 3 tiered leg tripod and the Outdoorsmans micro pan head. Excellent glassing tool.

OP
S

shedhunt

FNG
For my 15 power binos on a tripod I use a lightweight 3 tiered leg tripod and the Outdoorsmans micro pan head. Excellent glassing tool.
Thank you, I'll have to look into the Outdoorsman some more.

OP
S

shedhunt

FNG
I used the Tricer pan head this summer, it’s a nice small light unit. I used a sirui va5 before that, it’s a bigger heavier head, but much prefer it over the tricer for function and ease of use. If you’re not looking for ultralight weight, the va5 would be worth a look.
Thank you, been looking at both of these heads as they seem to be very popular throughout other threads I've read. As far as the weight difference between the two, is it a huge difference?

OP
S

shedhunt

FNG
I have a va5 and a Wiser head. The Wiser head is lighter, but I like the va5 better. The va5 has a safety built in it, so your optics won’t go flying off the head if you forget to tighten it down. I’ll use the Wiser head for binos and the va5 with get spotter scope duty.
Thank you! I'll take a look at the wiser head as I've never heard of them before. As mentioned earlier in another reply, sounds like the va5 is a very popular head amongst everyone.

Decker9

WKR
Thank you, been looking at both of these heads as they seem to be very popular throughout other threads I've read. As far as the weight difference between the two, is it a huge difference?

It was close to a pound difference in the end, iirc the tricer weighs about 6-7 ounces, the va-5 was a bit over a pound.

OP
S

shedhunt

FNG
I guess there are pros and cons to all options. I like the lite weight of the Wiser and Tricer but see the value of the va5 being a little more robust for the fact of utilizing a spotter or even if you did want to, shoot from it.

Anyone using and liking the VA-5, should take a look at the Epic Outdoors panning head. It’s very similar. The differences are related to fixing problems, many have found, with the VA-5. Specifically the small plate clamping range, weak return to level spring, and the ridiculously long panning bar.

Last edited:

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
The VA-5 clamping lever is spring loaded and can be repositioned to provide more clamping range.

The VA-5 weighs over a pound and the Tricer is around 4 oz. The Tricer is a little hard to get to clamp tight enough with a spotter and keep it from shifting when attaching your phone.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying the tricer lp this year after using a benro s2 the past several. The tricer is very impressive for the weight. With a little finesse you can tighten to the sweet spot of being able to pan around, without the binos falling over ,without having to adjust tension at all.are the separate functions of a head like the s2 or va-5 more convenient while actually glassing? I’d say yes a little bit… but the tricer still functions VERY well at a solid pound less then those heads… well worth it to me. If it holds up to heavy use, It’ll be my new head of choice

The VA-5 clamping lever is spring loaded and can be repositioned to provide more clamping range.
Yes, I believe that’s really common knowledge.

The issue is when using Arca plates that aren’t all manufactured using the same spec. Combined with the VA-5’s small clamping range, the user is then required to constantly index the clamping lever, when swapping between Arca plates. An example of this would be if you wanted to swap between an Outdoorsmans bino adapter (with an Arca foot) and a Swarovski spotting scope. The difference in ‘Arca’ dimensions is significant. So, you’d end up having to re-index the clamping lever each time you swapped optics.

In addition the clamping surface area of the VA-5 is very minimal.

The Epic Outdoors panning head is much better.

OP
S

shedhunt

FNG
Thanks for the additional info. I'll check out the Epic Outdoors panhead as well.
Hoping to settle on something soon and get it ordered.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yes, I believe that’s really common knowledge.

The issue is when using Arca plates that aren’t all manufactured using the same spec. Combined with the VA-5’s small clamping range, the user is then required to constantly index the clamping lever, when swapping between Arca plates. An example of this would be if you wanted to swap between an Outdoorsmans bino adapter (with an Arca foot) and a Swarovski spotting scope. The difference in ‘Arca’ dimensions is significant. So, you’d end up having to re-index the clamping lever each time you swapped optics.

In addition the clamping surface area of the VA-5 is very minimal.

The Epic Outdoors panning head is much better.
I’ve never ran into issues going back and forth between my Outdoorsman bino adapter and my spotter. I’ve never had to reindex swapping back and forth.

I find the handle to be much more user friendly than the shorter ones.

The VA5 is a great head. There’s a reason that others are compared to it.

I used some HDE to build my own plate. I used a soldering iron to push a 3/8 threaded insert into the plate. Screw it on screw it off - good to throw a bag on it. I use it for glassing and shooting. Now, I don’t have to sit behind my glass for hours. I’m in the South, so my situation may be different from yours. I do know Leofoto makes some good stuff, I bought one, but returned it to make my own. Good luck.