Tripod from a truck

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a tripod to use from a truck.

Doesn’t need to be light, or fancy. But I want something stupid stable. Like 15-20mph wind blowing and a 95-115mm BTX Swarovski doesn’t move.

Any Suggestions?

OP
Rstien321

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
I've damn near thrown hands over a buddy moving around too much in the truck while using a spotter on a window mount. Wind sucks too.
This has been my experience with window mounts too. Have one and love it for a lightweight spotte, but when you want big glass, in wind, they fall apart.

I want the stability to have a standing spotter in wind.

Have you already tried hanging weight from a lighter solid tripod?
I have not - I may give that a shot!

Silk looks like a great deal! Curious how well it does fully extended with a Wyoming wind blowing?
That's asking a lot. You might need to settle with sitting and only using the thicker sections of the legs in hard wind on high magnification. Using the truck as wind protection helps. It's worth the 60sec to move the truck when changing directions too!

OP
Rstien321

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
That's asking a lot. You might need to settle with sitting and only using the thicker sections of the legs in hard wind on high magnification. Using the truck as wind protection helps. It's worth the 60sec to move the truck when changing directions too!
Thanks for that suggestion!

This is one of those situations where I really don’t care if I end up with a 15lb tripod. I have a lightweight spotter and tripod I’m my pack, and then am planning to run the heavy spotter from the truck (we end up glassing a lot from a truck on private ground)

I am looking for a tripod to use from a truck.

Doesn’t need to be light, or fancy. But I want something stupid stable. Like 15-20mph wind blowing and a 95-115mm BTX Swarovski doesn’t move.

Any Suggestions?
Bogpod death grip if you don't need light its not going anywhere and priced good, I use one to hold my predator rifle in a cradle attachment

nobody

WKR
Wanted the same. I had an ultralight backpacking tripod and a mid weight tripod, but wanted something bigger and taller and heavier and stabler for scouting and cold late season hunts. I picked up a set of Slik pro 700 DX legs for $100. They’re like 6 lbs without a head, and holy cow are they flat stable. Large diameter legs all the way to the ground and HUGE knobs and attachment Points for kegs and such.

I would do that and get you like a Sirui VH10 head. It’ll weigh 8 ish pounds all up, but it’ll give you EXACTLY what you are looking for.

cworkman

FNG
I have a heavy aluminum Benro with a Sirui VH-10 on it. Just for that purpose and using from the house. I would go aluminum for the weight and cost and that VH-10 is more sturdy and heavy than the VA-5 for sure....

Big, thick carbon fiber legs to help with shake, and a really heavy weight suspended very low to the ground from the center column is what you're looking for

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been really happy with my Vortex Radian tripod. It’s super stable even when set at standing height.

Two vets 40 mike. You might even be able to rig some p-cord attachment points to the legs near the hub and ratchet strap the thing to some tie down points in the bed of the truck.

The best bet is what Doug suggested. The Slik 824cf with the Sirui VA5 head is a fantastic combo

Also the Benro Tortiose 2 with the fluid head, no center column, very stable and you can use the discount code, bags23 and save 15% at check out on the Benro

Feel free to call me with any questions

Joel
516-217-1000

TxLite

WKR
I have one of the shadow tech field tripods that has been very stable for shooting with a hog saddle and glassing with a spotter. I haven’t tried it in 20mph winds. Hanging your bag off of it would increase it’s stability dramatically.