Tripod for Shooting 300 Yards and Under?

TCoop94

FNG
Hey all, I’m looking into buying a tripod setup or buying a few separate parts to assemble one. This setup will be only used for ground hunting whitetail, with shots 300 yards and less with the terrain I hunt. I’m on a budget, not wanting to spend more than $350 total or so. I know this isn’t the most, but given what I’ll be using it for, I don’t see needing anything in the price range of two vets or RRS. Weight isn’t an issue as I at most walk half a mile into my spot to sit. Will need a clamp for my rifle such as a pig or reaper. Anybody have suggestions? I’ve been eyeballing Kopfjager and Warrior Tripods, or a night stalker tripod and ball head with a pig saddle.

Last edited:

Duh

WKR
I have a Leofoto SA-364CL with a MA-30 head. It’s cheap and works great. I’ve made hits with my 6 creed out to 800yards with it.

Take a look at the Benro Rhino line. On top of the rebates if you use the code promo24 you get an extra 10% off. These hold a lot of weight and can handle the kick of the rifle. We have clamps as well on our site. Here is a link to the tripods

Joel

CMF

WKR
I’ve looked at these but keep hearing mixed reviews about stability, but I haven’t ruled them out.
I'm not sure what kind of stability issues people could be having, It's incredibly solid and the legs can extend to a wider degree for more stability.

Trr15

WKR
I used a bog pod for the first time this season and it worked well. I did just order the ball head upgrade though. No cant on the stock head was a bit of a pain.

I'm not sure what kind of stability issues people could be having, It's incredibly solid and the legs can extend to a wider degree for more stability.
They are extremely stable. Their Tortiose line, without a center column is as stable as you can get

Here is the link, same promo code applies. No rebates on this series now

TaperPin

WKR
Since weight isn’t a problem you might enjoy a used professional grade aluminum video tripod and what used to be the biggest baddest ball head a few decades ago.

The Gitzo Tele studex tripod (same as 5 series) is big and beefy. Gitzo used to be the top professional tripod and professional wildlife photographers like Art Wolfe used the slightly smaller 4 series for much of their work. The 5 series was often used with big portable video equipment or large format cameras. The 4 series is ideal as a heavy spotting scope tripod. All sizes come in 3 basic heights and the compact is perfect for shooting seated, the regular height can be shot standing up leaning forward, and the tallest can be shot standing up straight by the tallest shooters.

This is the tall version and weighs 13 pounds with a big Arca monoball head. I also have the compact tripod and it’s a few pounds lighter. Simply google “monoball head” and “Gitzo tripod” to see what’s out there used. If it doesn’t say monoball, it’s not a monoball model. The company name is Arca and was the originator of Arca rails for photography use. Of course any tripod head can be used with any professional legs.

Normal price for a tripod in good condition is around $200 and half that for a good deal. Same for the Monoball.

IMG_0053.jpeg

Dave0317

WKR
For your purposes, I think the BOG would be great. It’s pretty solid for the price.

For light duty use, I’ve got my kid shooting a .223 Tikka off of a Manfrotto that was like $50 at Walmart, and it’s got a hog-saddle type head on it that I got off Amazon. I wouldn’t use it for a heavy gun or any PRS type stuff, but It’s adequate for typical deer hunting stuff that we do.

seand

WKR
I can’t think of any situation where I’d prefer a hog saddle/similar clamp to shooting off a bag.

I would just shoot off a bag on the tripod. I’d look at Leofoto for a cheaper tripod over any you listed - the LS-323c isn’t horrible.

IMG_3153.jpeg

CMF

WKR
I can’t think of any situation where I’d prefer a hog saddle/similar clamp to shooting off a bag.
He said ground hunting whitetails, so I'm assuming sitting a ground blind.
The clamping works great cause you have it in position pointed the anticipated direction, reducing movement and noise of getting the gun up.
I mostly use it for the kids, but the wife likes it too. I'll use it in a ground sitting situation.
On my daughter's Oryx hunt we crawled to within 140yds of bedded oryx. I got the gun clamped into the tripod and we waited for them to stand up. She got to test the height, get comfortable, etc and when they stood up we were ready.
Here is an older pic with the caldwell deadshot hunting whitetail, but we use the bog the same way now.
2021-12-30_07-30-05_835.jpeg