Tripod cheap or quality

Just got a decent spotting scope and was looking at tripods. They vary SO much in price I am just trying to understand what makes them expensive vs cheap and what should I be looking for expense wise ?

You do not need to spend a mortgage payment on a tripod, let alone a tripod and head. For a lot of folks, they spend the big money to feed their ego and not due to the tripod negatively impacting their ability to find game.

When space and/or weight is an issue, I use a Silk 635 CF. It is good up to my STX 65 from an optics perspective. It has been everywhere from Mexico to Alaska to the Midwest. The only issue is when the wind is blowing hard, it is topped with the STX 65, and the legs are fully extended.

When space and weight is not an issue, I use a Manfrotto 290 XTRA C. It is good up to my STX 95 (at a minimum) from an optics perspective. It has been everywhere from Mexico to Canada to the Midwest to Hawaii. Never had an issue with stability with it.

Mine are mostly used for glassing with the rare shot taken from them (either the Outdoorsman's Shooting V or Tri-Clawps).

Geewhiz

WKR
I have been glassing with a 85mm razor hd off of a $50 walmart tripod for 10 years now. Havent really noticed any handycaps from it. Doesnt look quite as cool as carbon fiber but works just as well. If your content in your manhood, I would recomment going that route and save the extra hundreds of dollars for other things.

OP
O
Much appreciard
You do not need to spend a mortgage payment on a tripod, let alone a tripod and head. For a lot of folks, they spend the big money to feed their ego and not due to the tripod negatively impacting their ability to find game.

When space and/or weight is an issue, I use a Silk 635 CF. It is good up to my STX 65 from an optics perspective. It has been everywhere from Mexico to Alaska to the Midwest. The only issue is when the wind is blowing hard, it is topped with the STX 65, and the legs are fully extended.

When space and weight is not an issue, I use a Manfrotto 290 XTRA C. It is good up to my STX 95 (at a minimum) from an optics perspective. It has been everywhere from Mexico to Canada to the Midwest to Hawaii. Never had an issue with stability with it.

Mine are mostly used for glassing with the rare shot taken from them (either the Outdoorsman's Shooting V or Tri-Clawps).
thank you for the info!

Much appreciard

thank you for the info!
You are welcome.

Some folks shoot from theirs with "stout" attachment points (rifle -> tripod). Those need to be sturdier which means more money. If that is going to be the exception rather than the rule for you, then save some of that money. Because... heads are a personal thing and you may go through a few of them until you find one that you like.

Figure out what you want the tripod to do, and then call CameraLand NY (site sponsor). They are sharp, do not mind answering questions, and can usually save you a bit of cash.

OP
O
Much appreciard

thanki you for the info!
Thanks for the link! Added to the cart while I think about it. Are the mounts fairly universal or no? I have a vortex viper spotting scope

tony

WKR
I bought a Hawk endurance ED 13x39x50 and that tripod has the arca swiss plate. Screwed right on. Tripod seems pretty light, ball head, carbon, nice little stuff sack.
I'm like you and didn't want to drop a ton in a spotter/tripod as it was more do it all set up more for general use. The tripod seem to check all the boxes from what I read here as far as features.

Some cheap tripods are so flimsy that with mild winds they vibrate and don't allow a good sight picture. That's fine for a casual user like myself, but if I were more serious, I'd opt for a good sturdy one.

OP
O
Some cheap tripods are so flimsy that with mild winds they vibrate and don't allow a good sight picture. That's fine for a casual user like myself, but if I were more serious, I'd opt for a good sturdy one.
It has the hook thing on it so you can hang your bag on it to weigh it down