tripod around$200

looking to get a new tripod as i took a fall on saturday and trashed mine. can't spend much more than about $200, what should i look for?

Benny

FNG
Does two hundo need to include the head or do you already have that covered?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up a carbon fiber from Vanguard for $200 this last fall, head included. I swapped it for my Manfrotto head but the Vanguard head OK for what I paid. Just didn't match my floorplates. Been happy with the carbon fiber.

OP
fillthefreezer
would need to include a head as i was using a cheap lightweight nikon. I'm also not opposed to used if anyone has seen something....
which slik are you guys recommending?

dotman

WKR
Checkout the one Luke did a review on, think his setup was around $200.

Beastmode

WKR
Love my vortex. Its the summit SS. No way I would pay all that much more for the comparable, popular, and much more expensive Slik CF 624 my buddy has. I even like the ball head on it but I would like to upgrade the head. When I get the new 65mm razor im realy going to be wanting a nice head I think...

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
It has a 3 year warranty. For packing purposes & cutting wt. this tripod is pretty nice, the ball head on it functions with no issues, it does not chatter. This was just another affordable option, it will handle a 65mm easily. The 1.8# feature is what attracted me in the 1st place.

ElkNut1

OP
fillthefreezer
It has a 3 year warranty. For packing purposes & cutting wt. this tripod is pretty nice, the ball head on it functions with no issues, it does not chatter. This was just another affordable option, it will handle a 65mm easily. The 1.8# feature is what attracted me in the 1st place.

ElkNut1

3 year no fault?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
kinda heavy dont ya think?

Not that I have noticed.

It is pretty light for a stable tripod that will aptly hold a full size spotter. I have Vortex High Country tripod I use with the ED50, but the Slik gets the nod with the big stuff.

I have gone deep with it without any trouble. I do save a little weight by leaving half of the center column at home.

It is just over 3 pounds in the configuration I use it.

I can get it well under three, if I swap over to a Manfrotto ball head, and do that occasionally.

ElkNut1

WKR
Here's how it's stated on the link I provided.

ElkNut1

Vortex 3-Year Limited Warranty:
Warranted products will be repaired or replaced at no charge for any manufacturer defects for a period of three years.