Trimming

Mag_7s

WKR
For volume reloading im sure it will be just fine. But for me, on precision rounds my concern would be removing too much material while chamfering and possibly damaging the primer pocket while trying to line up. I would also go Giraud, Henderson for automated and LE wilson, Forster for manual.

At that price point, get a Giraud tri way. Does all three steps in one. Instead of 3 like that Frankford.
Just a quick glance at their website, you have to buy cutters for different “families” of cartridges? Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I don’t know that I’d want 5 different cutters to do the same job

Churro

FNG
Before chunking the whole trimmer, I’d buy a 3-way cutter for it and give it a go. Might have a better pilot on it and it will chamfer and deburr at the same time.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
I have some 2k grit sand paper and 0000wool that I will use on the pilot in a drill tomorrow and see what happens.

For the cases that have the grove, would you load them? The ring/grove is not deep at all, you can feel it with a pick but not a screw drive or Allen key when run over it.
Did you try the 2k grit or 0000wool? I noticed the exact same thing with some 308 cases and the same trimmer the other day.

EdP

WKR
Is that really a groove or just a shiny ring where the powder residue has been rubbed off by the pilot? With that style of trimmer the case is not going to be perfectly centered with the pilot so there will be some rubbing at the pilot shoulder. I use the same style but a different brand and don't see it as an issue unless you are getting a burr on the inside of the neck.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Did you try the 2k grit or 0000wool? I noticed the exact same thing with some 308 cases and the same trimmer the other day.
I used the 0000wool. Seemed to help some but still had a tiny little groove. I could feel the groove with a pick. I only had a handful of brass left after the wool treatment so not enough brass to really see. Hopefully the necks don’t fly off with the bullet when shooting these…

Well you have me stomped. I use the same trimmer, use the same process and have never seen that. I am not sure how the pilot head could create that ring? Maybe you need to buy a different pilot head? Maybe try a smaller caliber that uses one of the other heads and see if it happens as well?

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions. I have already returned it and going to buy a new trimmer sometime soon. Not exactly sure on what direction I will go yet.

TxLite

WKR
Adding to this because I had the exact same issue with this same trimmer. Sold it and moved to a Henderson trimmer hoping to escape the issue but am still fighting it.

I watched a video from Primal Rights where he explained that it’s common for piloted trimmers to cause this. The Giraud as suggested earlier shouldnt have this issue since it trims using the case shoulder.

I’ve been considering lubing the pilot or inside of the case mouth to see if that helps

Attachments

• EA1BD6DC-9847-4385-A611-0531CF49E0CD.jpeg
    EA1BD6DC-9847-4385-A611-0531CF49E0CD.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 12