Trijicon vs Nightforce vs Leupold

bmart2622

WKR
Lets try this. Looking for a new scope for a new rifle, primarily a hunting rifle out to 800ish max but some range time out to 1000 yds. I think I have it narrowed down to the Trijicon HX, Nightforce NXS or Leupold Vx5. Anyone with real world experience with any of the listed scopes that can weigh in?

svivian

WKR
Trijicon would be your best value and cant see why you wouldn't like it. The nightforce NXS is also nice but if you get the 2.5-20 it can hard to mount depending on your setup. Also are you wanting FFP or SFP?

No experience with the Leupold

Edit: while I don't have experience shooting behind Leupold i do have experience selling it and customer feedback...

Last edited:

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
VX-5 looks the best through my eyes. All three are reputable brands.. ask the store to go outside with all three and see for yourself. My 2c

Good luck with your purchase

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
VX-5 looks the best through my eyes. All three are reputable brands.. ask the store to go outside with all three and see for yourself. My 2c

Ive always been a Leupold guy but there just seems to be a lot of negative reviews on them

Scopes are for aiming not looking

I sold off all my leupolds and have 3 nightforces (SHV, NXS & NX8) and one Trijicon Credo. All are much better scopes than the VX-3s and VX-6s they replaced. My brother just showed up to a hunt to find the windage knob of his VX-5 broke completely off during transport inside a soft case in the backseat of his truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
I’ve always been a Leupold guy, as well. I recently bought a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 to replace a Leupold VX3. After shooting the NF at the range, I’ll be putting the Leupold back on my rifle.
What didn't you like about the NF?

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Scopes are for aiming not looking

I sold off all my leupolds and have 3 nightforces (SHV, NXS & NX8) and one Trijicon Credo. All are much better scopes than the VX-3s and VX-6s they replaced. My brother just showed up to a hunt to find the windage knob of his VX-5 broke completely off during transport inside a soft case in the backseat of his truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody wants inferior glass though

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It was hard to see the crosshairs in low light conditions and the eye relief didn’t seem as good.

I’ve never had any issues with my Leupolds.
I moved in from an nxs 2.5-10 for that reason, I just couldn’t make out the crosshairs in darker areas and didn’t feel like always keeping the illumination on. I had that issue with both the MILr on the nxs and a MOAR on an shv. Right now I have an shv forceplex and I really like it. I also have a trijicon tenmile HX which so far I also like, not sure if I can say weather or not it’s as good as a nightforce but it checks a lot of boxes and there’s been some good feedback here as far as durability goes. I paid 739.00 for it when the lost price was ~ 1850.00 so for the price, I just don’t think it could be beat. There’s nothing for 800.00 that is a good IMO.

Marble

WKR
One of my NF scopes has the MOAR-T reticle. I ordered it like that thinking I would like the fine crosshairs. Wrong. Im going to send it in and have the reticle replaced. My other NF scope is the standard thickness reticle. My only complaint is its heavy. But I knew that when buying it.

Leopold sent me a scope with an elevation turret on the windage side of the scope. When I talked to them the guy said that was a custom shop issue and I would have to call back when they were open. I never called back. Kind of ticked me off.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk