Trigger Stick Tripod with clamp - or somethign similar

270quest

WKR
Anyone out there using a Primos Tripod with gun clamp or similar setup? I am thinking about grabbing one for my 13 year daughter. Seems it would help her out in getting setup for a shot and have stability if she has to stand? Not crazy about the idea of toting a big tripod around, but if it helps her make a shot, maybe worth it.

atmat

WKR
Anyone out there using a Primos Tripod with gun clamp or similar setup? I am thinking about grabbing one for my 13 year daughter. Seems it would help her out in getting setup for a shot and have stability if she has to stand? Not crazy about the idea of toting a big tripod around, but if it helps her make a shot, maybe worth it.
I played with one for a while on a deer lease a couple years back.

It’s big, bulky, heavy, and I had issues with the trigger dropping the legs. I would avoid.

BLJ

WKR
Opposite here. I carry a tripod with the legs together and my dad carries a monopod.
I shot 2 deer from the tripod last year while standing. Would have been very difficult for me to hold the gun off hand until a shot was presented.
For walking were a quick rest may be needed, I really like mine.

Honyock

WKR
I've used a trigger stick for several years and have had no issues with it. Nice to use in a ground blind. I don't use a clamp just the shooting V. Depending on your daughter's height, you might want to get the smaller version.

Erict

WKR
I have used the tripod trigger sticks plenty. I often carry them around fully extended with the legs strapped together to use as a standing binocular support for long range glassing. Shot plenty of deer off them but usually have time to lower them for sitting or prone shooting. After a lot of use I have had issues with the legs but look online and it's an easy fix. I also fell one time and cracked the grip near the base and after taking the whole thing apart there is a weakness in the design so I beefed mine up with a few layers of fiberglass to avoid future problems. For normal, shoot off the supplied "V", I would recommend them. If you get one, do yourself a favor and add a paracord or other kind of sling for times you don't want to carry them in your hands. I have a base plate on my spotting scope so I also added a tether to the "V" so when using the spotting scope the "V" doesn't get lost.

That said, I am not sure how well they would work with a clamp like you see on dedicated tripods. A lighter rifle might work, but a heavier one would be questionable. I say this because I have used it with my spotting scope and you need to be careful to center the weight over the legs on uneven ground.

If I were you, I would not hesitate to try a pair as sold and decide later if you want/need a clamp. Good luck!

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bog death grip tripod that my niece just shot 2 deer with. They are really nice for young shooters if you have the room in your stand for it. You would have to be in a box blind or on the ground id think. But imo they are necessary for a young hunter. I joke that she is a better shot than her dad now. For my public land hunting I carry a primos monopod shooting stick. That works for me.

Due to spotty reviews I have avoided these. However my hunting partner used one this week and I was impressed at how fast and steady it was for a seated shot. He was set up in less time as I was using my hatch bipod in the rocky terrain. From what I saw I think it would be easy for you to hold the trigger and asjust it to her from the side also.

I love the Trigger Stick for my wife. We used the Gen 1 short one for years and I got the Gen 3 short this year. Probably going to get the standing one at some point. When she is hunting its no big deal for me to carry it and its so easy and fast to get the right adjustment so she can make a good shot. I put a BOG Deathgrip on it last year but ended up taking it off. I thought having the gun clamped moved my POI and my wife didnt think it made her any more steady. I also bought the 2 point rest for it this year and my wife said it was easier for her to be steady on that rest. We haven't hunted with it yet though because she only had a muzzleloader tag and wasn't going to shoot far enough to need it. I also just played around with the 2 point rest at home and it looks like it will work great for longer shots. Its just a little more time consuming to set up. It would be great for a blind or a set up where you knew where the animals would be coming out as you can set it up and just leave the rifle in it at the ready like a clamp system.

When I hunt alone I dont take it because yes, it is a little heavy. I have been thinking about it more though as you can easily swap out the head so you could use it as your only tripod and swap your spotter or whatever onto it. In that case I dont think its that much heavier, if any, over what some people carry. It is also very steady and again, its just so fast and easy to get to the exact position you need. When I am just taking my wife hunting though its easy to carry and its been great.

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
Bog Deathgrip should work well for what you’re describing. I’ve seen quite a few kids shoot off one with no problems.