Tricks to lighten up a mountain rifle???

30-338mag

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with the B&C Carbelite stocks? Im still casually looking at stocks for my Ruger M77 mkii and this seems to be the only stock that I could find that "might" be a lighter quality stock.
From what Ive been finding though, they seem to have very mixed reviews. And Ive yet to find an actual weight for a long action Ruger model.

`You might try here http://brownprecision.com/brown-precision-stocks.htm

High Tech stocks maybe McMillan.

Wrongside

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with the B&C Carbelite stocks? Im still casually looking at stocks for my Ruger M77 mkii and this seems to be the only stock that I could find that "might" be a lighter quality stock.
From what Ive been finding though, they seem to have very mixed reviews. And Ive yet to find an actual weight for a long action Ruger model.

I had one on a LH Ruger M77MII. Don't waste your money. Save for a bit if you have to, and get something good.

Not a lot of light weight stocks out there for the Ruger M77MII, but they can be found...

Ruger M77 MII Long Action: 2 pounds 8 1/2 ounces

Wrongside

WKR
My pockets don't go that deep unfortunately, but I can scrape a bit for a new stock to lighten up my current setup. However, I do completely agree with you, htis would be 100% ideal way to set up a true mountain rifle. Sounds like it shoots sweet too!

I like custom rifles, but even I have too admit, it's easy to spend a ton of money customizing and lightening and still have no better rifle than the 84L/M. They aren't cheap, but are very good rifles for the money.

Lots of good advice and ideas on this thread. Some pretty poor advice as well... Tikkas, Hah! :D

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did a stock on the old Sako and it made a difference I could feel. Scope was next, went from a 3x9 50 mm to a 2.5x8 32 mm and I never regretted it. In fact, when I stepped into Weatherby's SBGM lightweight, I kept the scope and still shoot it 15 years later.

Jay Kyle

FNG
Or you could buy a 300 WSM (or 325 WSM) Browning A-Bolt with BOSS, 6 lb 6 oz. with the added benefit of enjoying shooting it. I use a Browning with BOSS, once it's tuned I can put a 60 rounds through it in a day in the mountains and not feel beat up. We shoot out between 100-500 yards for load tuning, then do unknown distance work up/down steep mountain sides to sharpen our field shooting. Come hunting season we swap out the muzzle break with the quiet tip, noise is now hunting ready, the ballistics don't change, and when hunting the recoil magically goes away.

I know some folks don't like the looks of the BOSS, but I don't think the deer care what it looks like. Also some have issues with muzzle brakes at ranges - understandable - that's why I practice with friends in the mountains.