Trending minimalist - not ready yet - what tweener boot for this year?

bhylton

WKR
Hey all, I’m trending towards minimalist footwear to help with weak feet/ankles. I’m not quite ready to commit to boots like vivos for hunting season but my feet have grown enough I need a boot for this fall. I’m coming from crispi 3/4 flex boots and have worn barefoot shoes since feb.
Was considering crispi lapponias or schnees timberlines. Any other recommendations? 6-8in and leather are a plus because I will use them wildland firefighting also. Thanks!

ElPollo

WKR
Hey all, I’m trending towards minimalist footwear to help with weak feet/ankles. I’m not quite ready to commit to boots like vivos for hunting season but my feet have grown enough I need a boot for this fall. I’m coming from crispi 3/4 flex boots and have worn barefoot shoes since feb.
Was considering crispi lapponias or schnees timberlines. Any other recommendations? 6-8in and leather are a plus because I will use them wildland firefighting also. Thanks!
I cannot speak to their durability for firefighting, but the Jim Green barefoot boots are the most boot-like of the barefoot options. I have a pair but have not worn them a lot due to a nerve injury that I am working on rehabbing. They are definitely zero drop, flexible, and have a nice wide toe box, but are well built. They include a thick leather midsole that should add some insulation and puncture resistance, but are still flexible. They just released what looks like a 10” version of these if your employer has a boot height requirement.

On the weak feet and ankle situation, I would recommend looking at the Mobo Board as and option for training and add some lateral ankle band exercises. I used to wear Whites and Nicks and then transitioned into Kennetreks. As I got older, I started having all sorts of foot issues. My nerve injury was unrelated to my footwear, but the rehab process has really shown me how bad my feet and ankles got from wearing stiff boots. A lot of those issues have resolved themselves after about a year in minimalist footwear. But I’m still working on the nerve thing.

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
I cannot speak to their durability for firefighting, but the Jim Green barefoot boots are the most boot-like of the barefoot options. I have a pair but have not worn them a lot due to a nerve injury that I am working on rehabbing. They are definitely zero drop, flexible, and have a nice wide toe box, but are well built. They include a thick leather midsole that should add some insulation and puncture resistance, but are still flexible. They just released what looks like a 10” version of these if your employer has a boot height requirement.

On the weak feet and ankle situation, I would recommend looking at the Mobo Board as and option for training and add some lateral ankle band exercises. I used to wear Whites and Nicks and then transitioned into Kennetreks. As I got older, I started having all sorts of foot issues. My nerve injury was unrelated to my footwear, but the rehab process has really shown me how bad my feet and ankles got from wearing stiff boots. A lot of those issues have resolved themselves after about a year in minimalist footwear. But I’m still working on the nerve thing.
I’m just not convinced I should be running a full on barefoot boot yet. I don’t want to over do it with weight especially. I was wondering if the most flexible options from the major boot makers would be a good intermediate step.
And thanks for the info on the training stuff, I will check it out

ElPollo

WKR
I’m just not convinced I should be running a full on barefoot boot yet. I don’t want to over do it with weight especially. I was wondering if the most flexible options from the major boot makers would be a good intermediate step.
And thanks for the info on the training stuff, I will check it out
I think you are the only one that can answer that question. And some preseason hiking and rucking is probably the best way to figure it out. The best you can do is try it for controlled amounts in the terrain you expect to encounter with the loads you expect to carry and see how it works out for you. You’ve already done the work to get used to the low drop shoes by wearing them regularly for a year.

Willyb43

FNG
Bergkomfort Wanderstiefel, stupid name, but these are barefoot “style” boots, with a generous toebox, and zero drop, while still remaining a more or less traditional boot. They have a thinner more flexible outsole, but it’s still reasonably thick and not a thin, barefoot type sole (I think around 5/8” thick?). I’m testing out a pair right now, I’ve been using them hard for about 4 months or so and love them. Not long enough to speak to the long term durability, but so far they are holding up excellent. I wrote a review on here about them awhile back, they really are a perfect middle ground between traditional boots and barefoot boots. Or a good transition boot if you intend to progress into a more barefoot style boot.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I just received Schnee’s new version of their Timberline. I’ve been wanting a pair of Schnee’s for a long, long time, and finally found the deal to get me into a pair of them.
I hunt in the Northeast, and a lot of my hunting is done in wet marshy areas so I wear high Lacrosse Areohead boots most of the time. I early season I’ve been sporting (an old pair now) of Cabela’s Stalking boot, and I’ve liked them but they’re wearing out, and the seams are opening up….
In regards to the Schnee’s, and my thoughts, I’ve only worn them around the house to start breaking them in, so take this for what it’s worth.
They’re heavier than I thought, but not heavier than my areoheads.
They are more stiff than I’m used to, but I think a lot of that is that I need to break them in more. To be honest, the last time I wore them they seemed “less” stiff.
I’m really curious how the “feel” of the boot will be in the woods. With my Stalkers, I can feel things under my feel that helps with being as quiet as I can be from breaking or snapping sticks etc….
The Schnee’s not sure about that yet.
I can say that they seem very durable. I can see these being the last boots I’ll buy like these if I do my part and take care of them.
I’m very happy with the support on my ankles .
I’m looking forward to using them this fall.
I want to add that I got the 0g for insulation in a size 10.5, and I’ll be wearing a thin synthetic liner sock and the heavyweight darn tough over the calf hunting sock with them.
I also wear a size 10.5 in Nike Pegasus running shoes and the Timberlines fit perfect for me as described.

Last edited:

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Not leather, but I would look at altra lone peaks.
I just got a pair of Altra Lone Peak mids earlier this summer. Have worn them on a few day hikes, awesome shoes. Very flexible and flat sole, still a nice amount of cushion, great traction, super breathable and feel very light on the foot. Can't attest to long term durability yet but they are fine so far.

Big_wals

WKR
I just got a pair of Altra Lone Peak mids earlier this summer. Have worn them on a few day hikes, awesome shoes. Very flexible and flat sole, still a nice amount of cushion, great traction, super breathable and feel very light on the foot. Can't attest to long term durability yet but they are fine so far.
Yeah I love mine. Never bought em, but I believe Altra sells a rock guard, basically a thin piece of stiff plastic that goes under the insole. If anyone buys a pair for a transition boot and they are still a little too soft soled for you, might want to look into that. No personal experience with it though.

ledflight

WKR
I have used the Altra Lone Peak for a few years and they're a lot like a typical hiking sneaker but zero drop.
Last fall was my first season with Vivos in the woods and they were great.
Basically you should be in zero drop shoes all the time and barefoot as much as possible to help strengthen your feet. If you have been in barefoot shoes since February you're in a. good place. Use what you have for as much hunt like conditions as possible and you can make it happen this year.

A buddy of mine who hikes his butt off wears La Sportativa. The post above might be worth looking into. My foot is wider than most of their boots so I'm out. I just ordered a pair of Lowa's for this seasons elk backpack trip. Good luck!

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
At this point, I’m probably between the Altra mids or the Vivo trackers. I’ve had altra running shoes in the past and appreciated the wider toe box. Might go for a pair of trackers of revivo to try. Those euro boots with the crazy name look very nice, but pretty spendy at this point in my journey. Thank you everyone

Voyageur

WKR
Have you checked out Lems?

Disclaimer:
I have not worn Lems as I have a pair of leather boots from Russell Moccasin that fit that bill. When those wear out though, Lems will be in serious contention to replace them.

Big_wals

WKR
Have you checked out Lems?

Disclaimer:
I have not worn Lems as I have a pair of leather boots from Russell Moccasin that fit that bill. When those wear out though, Lems will be in serious contention to replace them.
IMG_1115.jpeg

I have had several pairs of lems, they are very comfortable boots. Every pair I have worn has blown out that seam on the toe after about 2 months of wearing them daily for work. Its a super easy fix, I just sew it back together with a big needle and braided fishing line, but it is something to keep in mind. YMMV

Big_wals

WKR
Also, the leather lems are flannel lined, so they can get hot in the summer if you get sweaty feet like I do. I haven’t tried any of their shoes, just worn the leather Boulder boot.

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
View attachment 746438

I have had several pairs of lems, they are very comfortable boots. Every pair I have worn has blown out that seam on the toe after about 2 months of wearing them daily for work. Its a super easy fix, I just sew it back together with a big needle and braided fishing line, but it is something to keep in mind. YMMV
have you had any issues with your foot sliding around not having any lacing ability forward of the midfoot? Seems like a few hundred yards of side hill and the leather would be all stretched out from your forefoot sliding into the downhill side.

Big_wals

WKR
have you had any issues with your foot sliding around not having any lacing ability forward of the midfoot? Seems like a few hundred yards of side hill and the leather would be all stretched out from your forefoot sliding into the downhill side.
I actually haven’t really used em for hiking, mainly work boots for construction and farming.

Crispi has a fire boot that is leather lined and insanely comfortable like you would expect out of a leather lined boot.
Maybe look at those if you need dual use for Fires.
Otherwise for hunting look at Russell Moccasin, they have an elk hunting boot...expensive but looks very comfy yet with enough midsole stiffness for rocks.