Trekking poles

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I’d avoid Sissy Stix if you want good customer service.

That's too bad, I've had great customer service with them. I broke a lower section on one of mine, it got stuck between two fallen trees and I forced it, my fault, messaged them and they sent me a replacement section for free even after I insisted on paying as it was my fault.

Pezboat

WKR
That's too bad, I've had great customer service with them. I broke a lower section on one of mine, it got stuck between two fallen trees and I forced it, my fault, messaged them and they sent me a replacement section for free even after I insisted on paying as it was my fault.

I wish that was my experience. I bought a pair and they showed up defective. I’ve used trekking poles for years, and they’re not too complicated of a device. They told me I didn’t know how to use them, and it was all my fault. Didn’t offer to remedy the issue. Changed me $15 to return a defective item.

MTElk1987

FNG
I have been using a pair of Leki’s for several years now. Not sure what the model is. Corklite maybe?

I wish that was my experience. I bought a pair and they showed up defective. I’ve used trekking poles for years, and they’re not too complicated of a device. They told me I didn’t know how to use them, and it was all my fault. Didn’t offer to remedy the issue. Changed me $15 to return a defective item.

I’m just curious, how were they defective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using a pair of Leki’s for several years now. Not sure what the model is. Corklite maybe?

I've used a pair of Leki's for almost 20 years. They have saved me from falling on ice many times.

I think fiber carbon are prone to break while aluminum bend is better from that perspective.

Gohunt has a youtube video stress test, the Lekki legacy was the winner, it is amazing how
much stress (>100lbs) the poles took before failing:

Pezboat

WKR
I’m just curious, how were they defective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some glue or something must have gotten in one of the sections. No matter what I did, I could not get it to slide out. Explained the issue to them with pictures, and they said “there’s no way that could happen. They have a rigorous QC department. And I must be doing something wrong.” I get stuff happens, but the way they wouldn’t accept responsibility was really off putting.

Learner

FNG
I'm partial to Black Diamond and Leki poles. My only sticking points are that I only use aluminum poles after breaking one set of my own and watching several friends break carbon fiber poles. I also only like the cork handles. Rubber handles get slimy from sweat in the summer and turn into mini rocks in the cold. The cork stays pretty consistent year-round.

Can't beat the Costco poles for the money. Got mine off amazon, I believe their name on amazon is Cascade mountain. I paid ~$30 for them

OP
flatlander51
I ended up going with the Costco ones, I’m going to give them a try. Only thing I don’t like so far is I wish they had a better grip. I’ll post a review after I get some mountain mile on them!

I ended up going with the Costco ones, I’m going to give them a try. Only thing I don’t like so far is I wish they had a better grip. I’ll post a review after I get some mountain mile on them!

I've heard good things about the Costco poles, so will look forward to a review as I'm in the market for some myself!

BD, Leki, aluminum, Get poles that have the clips rather than the twist type adjustments. The poles that twist never stay locked from my experience. i had a pair of the costco poles and they were destroyed in first time out. They replaced them quickly but i dont want to have to deal with that.

Poser

WKR
I use carbon z poles poles for backcountry skiing, but they just break too easy for heavy hunting and off trail hiking. I say just get whatever aluminum design is cheap and works for you and there’s not much difference between any of them.