Trekking Poles

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Wasnt sure where to start this thread so i figured footwear was close enough!

What is everyone using? Why? I have never used them, but am considering them.

Thanks

Lorne

Lawnboi

WKR
When you get em, make sure they are the ones with flick locks. I also thought msr's new poles looked pretty neat as far as the locking system and weight.

Right now iv got some twist lock leki poles, i dont even remember the model but they work well enough. having flick locks, or the bottons like on the msr poles would be convenient for setting up my shelter.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been using the B&D Z poles....they don't have a height adjustment, but they are very lightweight and packable.

Mike7

WKR
REI Traverse poles with Flick type locks. Not super light and don't pack down extremely small, but very durable and you can get them at a really good price sometimes.

swat8888

WKR
Some of the anti-shock Leki's. With them weight isn't really an issue, if I'm walking they are in my hands. I also prefer the anti-shock, makes it a little easier coming downhill IMHO. Never used the flick locks, but I can say that twist locks will loosen up and that has more than once given me a good scare as I was scrambling across a scree field....NOT when you want your pole to sudden give out. Just something to keep in mind.

After having a couple of trekking poles fail on me when the chips were down, I've pretty much reverted back to using a well seasoned spruce staff whenever I don't have to fly commercial airline. Virtually unbreakable, infinitely adjustable length, quieter in the rocks, and still fits inside a supercub. Only about 12 oz, and you sure can't beat the price.

P1000544.jpg

They are also endorsed by patriarch Moses... and I hear that guy did some serious trekking in his day. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yellowknife you get some serious style points rocking the Moses staff! :D

Black Diamond trekking poles for me.

Yellowknife you get some serious style points rocking the Moses staff! :D

It's also handy for parting the waters. :D

P1000533-1.jpg

I actually doubled down in the first picture.... The rifle is a .300 H&H. It just would have been wrong to take a picture of that classic with a carbon fiber trekking pole.

Yk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for the Black Diamond one. Really like the flicklock technology. They don't collapse and are are strong.
Staffs get the cool factor, but I do like having the ability to adjust the size on mine as stash in pack as needed.

I will admit that trekking poles have their perks. I just found that they broke too easy when trying to catch myself on soft scree. I do have a reputation for being able to break almost anything, so that should should be taken into account.

I also found that although having a trekking pole in each hand has it's advantages (especially going downhill), my preference is to keep one hand free and just switch back and forth as needed. With a staff, it's really easy to toss back and forth from left to right, and by having it in the hand that does the most good, I don't miss having two. I also found that I don't ever put them in my pack once I leave the trail head, so the ability to collapse is essentially wasted on me.

Where that collapsing feature does come in handy is when traveling commercially. I suppose I could try and gate check a 5 ft spruce stick, but haven't tried. :) Wonder what TSA would think of that?

I will also agree that the BD trekking poles seem to be the most durable of the lot.

Yk

Curtis C

WKR
I use some model of Black Diamond pole that has a push/squeeze button release for the bottom section. I really dislike the push button release but they have been very durable. I wish the darn things would break so I can get a set with the flick lock release.

C

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am usually a single trekking pole user for the most part as well. Really like having a hand free for pushing brush to the side or grabbing on to rocks and what not.

Aron, what is your opinion on the durability of the Z-poles? I took a look at them at REI and they seemed to have a lot of flex to them. I really liked how light and packable they are though.