Trekking poles.... How many use them?

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I used them for the first time last fall. They saved my bacon several times in the muddy terrain by helping me keep my balance. And I felt like they took some stress off of my legs and knees.

tuffcity

WKR
As all above, love them, wish I had started using them years ago. Saved my ass a couple times, especially this past year when I almost went down with a 150 lb load on.

RC

kodiakfly

WKR
I use them as well. Sometimes if I'm just out training on the hill behind my house (1200') I'll leave them at home so I'm working harder, but when actually out hunting or hiking they're always with me.

Do most of you guys use trekking poles? I've never used them, do they make that much of a difference? What advantages to they give? assuming not using them to pitch a shelter.

Used em for the first time in the snow in Utah, kept me going well past my normal range. Huge advantage.

bandit1

FNG
always in the pack. life savers for 51 year old knees, especially on the steep descents.

OP
E
well sounds like a worthy investment. Are there major differences between different brands/models? My dad has a pair of Leki that he never used, might have to take em.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I use em and they have saved me a time or two from taking a nasty tumble. Plus they double as the poles for my Stratospire tent from Tarptent! I have Leki and Black Diamond. Both are good.

jmez

WKR
I use them and they make a huge difference when hiking with weight.

I don't think there is a big difference between brands but you will want to get a set with flick locks. They hold better.

60x

WKR
One of the best things to use them for is decending mountains with heavy loads.

jhall239

FNG
I was a bit skeptical at first but got talked into it, now I can't imagine not having a set of poles

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Invested in a pair of Black Diamond Distance Z- Poles and love them. Durable, lightweight and folds into thirds for convenience. I have noticed they lighten the pressure on my knees, especially coming down steep terrain with a load on my back. Going up hill, it may be a physicological thing, but I feel like it puts me in 4WD mode. Ha ha. Great for aiding in balance in rough country/stream crossings and obviously can be used with the appropriate shelter set up. When hunting, they are either in my pack to help getting my first load out or they are with my external pack frame back at the truck and will be my best friends when packing heavy loads of meat. Great deals can be found on Ebay btw.