Trekking poles.... How many use them?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate hiking without them, and as others have said they make you so much steadier in uneven terrain and/or with a heavy load. Luke and I usually bring a set each going in, then use one set as the center pole in our shelter (SL5 or Nemo pentalite) leaving us the other set to split so we each always have at least one. We have had pretty good luck with the black diamond flick locks, but there are likely others out there that work just as well. At least one of each of our sets is modded out with a screw through the top of the handle so you can put a V adaptor on (makes a nice shooting stick) or thread the camera on for a makeshift tripod.

If you look closely you will see the adaptor on the pole in my left hand in this shot:

Last edited:

JP100

WKR
sorry guys but walking poles are my most hated contraption.
I cant stand them. they are good if your on a wide track but hopeless in the bush.

I do use a 6 foot hard wood walking stick which I find to be of far greater use. But I usually like to have my hands free when walking and I usually carry my gun in my hand aswell.
Maybe in 30 years I will change my mind

At the glacier most guides motto is "one for walking, two for skiing"

rodney482

WKR
This guy right here wont hunt the back country without them.
leki corklites

rodney482

WKR
I only use mine for packing in and out.
while hunting they are slid into my pack.

sorry guys but walking poles are my most hated contraption.
I cant stand them. they are good if your on a wide track but hopeless in the bush.

I do use a 6 foot hard wood walking stick which I find to be of far greater use. But I usually like to have my hands free when walking and I usually carry my gun in my hand aswell.
Maybe in 30 years I will change my mind

At the glacier most guides motto is "one for walking, two for skiing"

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Single pole for me...with a twist!

I can change the presentation to any of 20 camo or decoy patterns in a matter of seconds.

walkdecoysmall.jpg

2rocky

WKR
I was amazed even with a light daypack how much the poles helped this last summer.

When I went back during hunting season I gave one to my 70 year old father and uncle to steady themselves in the snow and it helped.

boom

WKR
i love them. as i fatigue, just that added insurance towards my stability is wonderful. you always have a couple of points of contact with earth. they are great to urge snakes off the trail.

i wont use them during the hunt, but they will get me in and out.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Several of you have mentioned that you use them "hiking" but not "hunting". I found this interesting, and it may just be because of where and how I hunt but I can be "hunting" for days, I.e. Logging many miles on foot looking for animals like bears, caribou, or sheep and I always use my poles during that time. I am likely to stash or stow them when on a final stalk, but I pretty much use them all the rest of the time. For that matter, except for deer hunts in heavily wooded areas, my rifle stays on my pack until I actually see an animal to go after and I only carry it in hand as I make the final push for an animal. If I didn't use my poles because I was "hunting" I would probably almost never use them. Again, maybe related to where and how I hunt, or maybe I just don't get on animals as often as others do, but I have trekking poles in hand more often than not...I find them pretty handy when I am hunting, particularly in steep terrain.

I use them, just like having mobile hand rails and I have saved myself a bad spill numerous times by having them. I insist that my wife always uses them as she has taken a few nasty spills.

One gave her some road rash on her face and a mild concussion, the second ripped the skin on her knee and exposed the kneecap and required 33 stitches to close it. Trekking poles would of prevented both.

TEmbry

WKR
Several of you have mentioned that you use them "hiking" but not "hunting". I found this interesting, and it may just be because of where and how I hunt but I can be "hunting" for days, I.e. Logging many miles on foot looking for animals like bears, caribou, or sheep and I always use my poles during that time. I am likely to stash or stow them when on a final stalk, but I pretty much use them all the rest of the time. For that matter, except for deer hunts in heavily wooded areas, my rifle stays on my pack until I actually see an animal to go after and I only carry it in hand as I make the final push for an animal. If I didn't use my poles because I was "hunting" I would probably almost never use them. Again, maybe related to where and how I hunt, or maybe I just don't get on animals as often as others do, but I have trekking poles in hand more often than not...I find them pretty handy when I am hunting, particularly in steep terrain.

Just a guess but I'd say most claiming this are archery hunters as I am. Have to have the bow at the ready when moving around hunting because your range is so limited. If I am hiking into an area to set up my spike camp, hiking to a glassing point, hiking after dark, etc... I use them. When walking around in broken terrain or where I'd be possibly in close proximity to animals, I have bow out as I walk and poles strapped to the pack instead.

I drew a Mountain Goat tag two years ago and used poles every day scouting and hunting. They really worked great and helped keep me from a couple of potentially nasty falls. I also noticed a benefit in not feeling as fatigued using the poles.

i dont do a lot of technical mountin stuff so ive never really bothered to use them, would probably be nice on packouts. a budy had a set one time and i tried to use them, looked like an idiot, weeds were grabbing the poles didnt know if you use the same pole and foot at the same time or what. lets jut say graceful it was not. but some of the places ive seen guys hunt goats at i could imagine they would be a life savor. i also use a bow 99% of the time so that could be another factor

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted by others would not leave home without them. Takes strain of knees and helps on climbs as well. So many models available today that are extremely lightweight.

boom

WKR
Just a guess but I'd say most claiming this are archery hunters as I am. Have to have the bow at the ready when moving around hunting because your range is so limited. If I am hiking into an area to set up my spike camp, hiking to a glassing point, hiking after dark, etc... I use them. When walking around in broken terrain or where I'd be possibly in close proximity to animals, I have bow out as I walk and poles strapped to the pack instead.

agreed!^^

i bowhunt. my hands have enough going on running a bow thru the many holding positions to keep comfy on long hunt/hikes. my trek poles are at camp..ready to come into play should i need them on my second trip for animal parts.

rifle hunting..i can see them used during the hunt..i guess.

first time i used poles i was STUNNED at how sore my arms, especially my triceps were. they were doing "something" for sure. make sure the poles have awesome, adjustable wrist straps. it takes very few miles to develop some prefect system of putting most of the load on the wrist straps, requiring very little grip strength.

weaver

WKR
Never use them while actually hunting but wouldnt do without when packing meat. Makes coming down a mountain with a 100+ lbs a lot easier.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Black Diamond z-poles are always with my pack. Bought them off of Sierra Trading Post with a 30% coupon for around $35.