Trekking poles, are they really that useful?

sk1

WKR
So I see lots of pictures on this forum with guys using trekking poles......are they really that useful? I've been on my fair share of slipperly slopes, but I wonder how much a trekking pole would actually help.....I guess I could see them as being useful balancing the load as you pack out an animal

for you guys that use them, do you feel like it's that much better hiking with them and if so why?

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, they are that useful whenever you are carrying a load and on anything other than flat ground whether it is uphill or downhill. They are also multi-purpose as they serve as the center pole for my GoLite SL5.

swat8888

WKR
The first sheep hunt I went on I took 1 trekking pole. I ended up using an old caribou shed as my other "trekking pole" on a couple steep slopes. You won't catch me dead on a mountain without my trekking poles..both of them now.

They also saved me from getting washed down a creek last year in the AK range when it rained for 7 straight days and I had sheep on my back.

Going up hill they are like having a set of hand rails! You can really use a lot of upper body to gain elevation...

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use mine as a center pole for my shelters, a camera mount, spotting scope mount, and of course as a hiking/balance aid as well. They more than are worth their weight for the amount of things they do for me.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I never hit the woods without two. I find noticeably less fatigue when I use trekking poles. they have tons of other uses as well including shelter poles, buddy botherer, etc.

I always use trekking poles. Turn me into a machine going uphill or downhill. I'm just average without them. with them I'm superman. They make that big of a difference.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
damn.....thanks guys now i have another thing to buy....well isnt this forum just awesome lol

well good im excited about this however, hopefully it makes some quicker work of steep slopes being able to use my upper body to help, i never thought of it like that

the only down side im thinking is another thing to carry, spotting scope and tripod already take up alot of pack room....im sure i wont always have the trekking poles out as ill be hiking with bow in hand, now i need a spot for these too

Last edited:
Must have! They reduce strain on my knees going down, lets me get my upper body involved going up, make the center pole for my shelter, rest for my bins for long glassing sessions... That's just a few every day uses.

My bivy spot is a 2 hour hike uphill...with hiking poles i'm on average 10-15 minutes faster. I use them to hike in, then they stay put till i hike out or need'em to prop up my tarp/shelter.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't always need them, but I take them everywhere!

If I'm hunting or hiking on flat ground I stick them in the pack, but I use them for anything else.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i feel like i must have been missing out on some huge secret for years lol.....well looks like my next paycheck is going to be $100 less

swat8888

WKR
They are also nice to lean your dying body on when hauling 100 lbs of meat for hours...lol....better than having to sit down for a break and have a hernia trying to stand back up.

billy molls

Super Moderator
The only bad thing about using trekking poles is that I didn't do it years earlier. Climbing steep mountains and downhill with a heavy load,,,,,,, worth their weight in gold. I would honestly leave my pistol at camp before my sticks...... Seriously.

dotman

WKR
Just don't let Elknut know you are using them, he thinks we are all wimps for using them :)

Slim Jim

WKR
I just got a pair of eastons a couple of weeks ago. Finally decided to give the knees a break this year now that I'm 42. I have never used poles, can't wait to see the difference that it makes.