?? Trekking pole Suggestions and input requested.

cmeier117

WKR
Anyone tried the CAMP Xenon trek poles? 4 piece weigh 12 oz, look the aluminum BD z poles just cheaper at $80?

Slim- How do you like the Carbon z poles?

muleman

WKR
I have never used trekking poles before. I have looked many times and never pulled the trigger. The other day I saw the Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber poles in Costco and got a pair to try. Quality seems good for the $26 dollars. They have a cork upper handle with EVA below. I did notice that the cork was loose on some of the handles, so look them over if you go this route. They also came with two sets of baskets and two sets of boots. They also have the anti-shock feature which can be turned on and off. In two weeks I will use them on elk scouting trip to see how they perform. I prefer quality and durability over price. So far I don't have any complaints, time will tell with actual use.

Here is a link to the manufactures website. http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Articles.asp?ID=253

slim9300

WKR
Anyone tried the CAMP Xenon trek poles? 4 piece weigh 12 oz, look the aluminum BD z poles just cheaper at $80?

Slim- How do you like the Carbon z poles?

They are amazing but keep in mind that they are my first set of trekking poles. I have used them 4 times now and clanked them on all sorts of stuff (including a whole bunch of giant boulders) and strained the hell out of them in general. I would never consider anything heavier unless I used them for a shelter. They will be in my pack for every time I might come out heavy.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am loving my zpoles...they served me well this shed season and will be in my pack this fall. They weigh 9oz and fold down to a little over 15 inches..They definately save some where on the joints! [IMG]http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/magnum775/P5050561.jpg[/IMG]
P5050561.jpg

I got the CM poles and cannot for the life of me figure out the anti shock feature. One is locked and the other acts like a shock absorber. They have no directions and it seems like there'd be an easy way to lock or unlock them as I've read elsewhere but I cannot get the locked one unlocked. I'm not talking about the twist mechanism to adjust the length, just the shock absorbing feature. Any clues would be appreciated!

Thanks Bob! I got it and it worked. Seems like there should be a 1 liner on the instructions as it's not easy to see. Not sure if I'd use the anti-shock feature or just the stiff pole but I'll try it out. I'll probably only use them for packing heavy loads!

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I have Leki, can't remember the exact model but love the cork grips. I don't think you can go wrong with either Black Diamond or Leki. I would recommend flick locks or flip over twist. I use aluminum but many use the carbon.
This is what I use, it's called the corklite