Trappers

IrishnId

WKR
When I'm able
My work schedule doesn't allow for it unless I can find a partner for my workday trap checks. My son gets his drivers license next year so I'll have a fulltime partner! Super excited for that.

gethuntin

WKR
I mainly target cats on a small scale as my schedule doesn't allow to have a long trap line. Coons and coyotes hides are worth a little more now so they might be worth trying to get a few to make up for gas and gear while trying to get a cat. Here are my first two I caught.

JPD350

WKR
I don't trap as of now but I support trapping and have supported them at numerous meetings, it is extremely important that even folks that do not trap be active in the fight against the people that are attacking trappers. The Sierra club is the spearhead group that is trying to ban trapping in many western states, I personally witnessed there tactics here in NM and I can tell you that we all better be on the offense instead of always on the defense. One thing we must do is to make sure the people we vote into our states legislature be understanding of the need for predator and varmint control and that trapping is the best way to administer this control. The states legislature is the place that makes the laws and sadly enough we are losing friendly seats at every election.

Sorry about the rant!

ebhegele

FNG
I trapped my way through college and to this day it always makes it easier to gain access to land after showing the farmer 10 dead yotes, he starts liking you more.
yty5yny3.jpg

N Phelps

FNG
I just started this year. Going to target a variety of species. Muskrat are averaging $11.00 apiece, last I checked!

Logan T

WKR
I also attempt to when I have some time. Coyotes, bobcat, and beaver. Would love to have time to go after marten.

jmez

WKR
As my schedule allows. I trap everything. When I put out a line it includes both water and land sets. Have had young children the last few years so haven't trapped. As soon as they are old enough to take I'll start again. I love trapping.

bradb

WKR
My buddy said he had got 462 coon in the first 11 days of the season here. I think he is shooting for a 1,000 this year. plus other species

OP
Brandon Pattison
Awesome! I too have a hectic schedule and small children. I trap land and water but consider myself a novice. If I could I would trap for a living. It is as fun as plowing snow at time and a half.

OP
Brandon Pattison
What's this set all about?

I mainly target cats on a small scale as my schedule doesn't allow to have a long trap line. Coons and coyotes hides are worth a little more now so they might be worth trying to get a few to make up for gas and gear while trying to get a cat. Here are my first two I caught.

Floorguy

WKR
If we ever get snow and if my schedule looks looks I will have the time. Most likely not this year though.

jljmonky

FNG
Its new to me this year. I have about 13 acres of property 25-30 minutes from home with verified Fox, Coyote, Beaver, Muskrat, Coon and Opposum (all caught on trail cameras). I bought two 220 body grips, two 110 body grips, four #2 coil spring leg holds and four DP Coon traps. Got everyhting dyed and waxed, got earth anchors, a new sifter, made an dirt hole cutter out of an old piece of exhaust pipe and made a pack frame with a 10 gallon trash can for a pack basket. I didn't buy any specific bait but have been saving squirrel guts in the freezer and bought some beaver lure.

Season in Illinois opened today but I am playing Army for the weekend and won't get out until tomorrow night to set traps. Stretchers cam in the mail yesterday. Monday I will bow hunt the same ground the traps are on and check them all. I am hoping to build a fleshing pole and am hoping I can fashion a fleshing knife out of some old stock floating around.

Any detailed pointers anyone can offer I will gladly read and if anyone is in east central Illinois and wants to come help a guy out I will take it!

OP
Brandon Pattison
Its new to me this year. I have about 13 acres of property 25-30 minutes from home with verified Fox, Coyote, Beaver, Muskrat, Coon and Opposum (all caught on trail cameras). I bought two 220 body grips, two 110 body grips, four #2 coil spring leg holds and four DP Coon traps. Got everyhting dyed and waxed, got earth anchors, a new sifter, made an dirt hole cutter out of an old piece of exhaust pipe and made a pack frame with a 10 gallon trash can for a pack basket. I didn't buy any specific bait but have been saving squirrel guts in the freezer and bought some beaver lure.

Season in Illinois opened today but I am playing Army for the weekend and won't get out until tomorrow night to set traps. Stretchers cam in the mail yesterday. Monday I will bow hunt the same ground the traps are on and check them all. I am hoping to build a fleshing pole and am hoping I can fashion a fleshing knife out of some old stock floating around.

Any detailed pointers anyone can offer I will gladly read and if anyone is in east central Illinois and wants to come help a guy out I will take it!

PM me.