Train To Hunt

littlebuf

Banned
I thought when eye of the Tiger started playing you were just gonna straight nock that girl in the blue shorts out. Still though good job. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be bear hunting 1st weekend in August....

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought when eye of the Tiger started playing you were just gonna straight nock that girl in the blue shorts out. Still though good job. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be bear hunting 1st weekend in August....

Hahahhaha. Dude believe me, I'm torn!

lintond

WKR
The meat pack and the challenge course will make you dig deep. I can't believe there isn't more people at these things. Its a matter of time before this is penciled in on everyone's calendar. If you're new to mountain hunting, get your butt to one of these events for a taste of what western hunting is like physically.

What was your strategy for the meat pack? How far did you have to hike? I'm probably going to do the Oregon one in July.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was your strategy for the meat pack? How far did you have to hike? I'm probably going to do the Oregon one in July.

Post #70 explains it but it was a 1/4 mile. I put 100 in my pack and had a 50 lb bag in each hand.

lintond

WKR
Post #70 explains it but it was a 1/4 mile. I put 100 in my pack and had a 50 lb bag in each hand.

Now that's gettin er done! I may need to do a little special training for that part.

Last edited:
OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that's gettin er done! I may need to do a little special training for that part.

Yeah I had to improvise. I was planning on 2 trips but a few guys did it in 1 trip so if I wanted to stay competitive I needed to sack up and do it in one trip.

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
Wow crazy to see this post- I have a background in sporting event management and logistics, was literally just thinking this morning that with the surge of mud runs and obstacle races that I was shocked no one had done a hunting based one- guess I was wrong! Awesome to see, won't make the CO one this year but would love to check it out next year.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow crazy to see this post- I have a background in sporting event management and logistics, was literally just thinking this morning that with the surge of mud runs and obstacle races that I was shocked no one had done a hunting based one- guess I was wrong! Awesome to see, won't make the CO one this year but would love to check it out next year.

Yeah, I would be willing to bet you see these TTH competitions get big in the next few years.

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I would be willing to bet you see these TTH competitions get big in the next few years.

Problem is the market is pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Mud runs (even newly created ones) are generating 2-3k+++ people per event, which makes it easy to put one on. Something like this is going to take a lot more time, effort, and money to grow to a reasonable size. The good news is the costs don't seem real prohibitive to actually put the event on.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem is the market is pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Mud runs (even newly created ones) are generating 2-3k+++ people per event, which makes it easy to put one on. Something like this is going to take a lot more time, effort, and money to grow to a reasonable size. The good news is the costs don't seem real prohibitive to actually put the event on.

Yeah I don't think that is feasible. Not to mention a contests that big would pretty much take away a lot of the experience, IMO. That is why I have ZERO interest in the "mud runs"

Last edited:
OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made up some new sandbags to train with for the upcoming TTH in Tamarack and for the nationals in Denver in August!

Big one is 70lbs, middle is 50lbs and the two smaller ones are 25lbs with removable handles.

Last edited:
Congrats to you! You might have already realized this, but watching your video the dude that won it was a lot more efficient on some of the stuff. My guess is you could save a fair bit of time by identifying these areas, like the sand bag on the shoulder. You were taking yours about 3-4" higher than you needed to.

Best of luck to you!

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you thought about dragging a tire behind you?

I have and I have one I just haven't hooked it up to a harness yet!

Congrats to you! You might have already realized this, but watching your video the dude that won it was a lot more efficient on some of the stuff. My guess is you could save a fair bit of time by identifying these areas, like the sand bag on the shoulder. You were taking yours about 3-4" higher than you needed to.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks Jason and yeah I saw that in the videos. I have tons of room for improvement in a lot of aspects for these upcoming competitions. Thank you for the advice, man!

chessie

FNG
Nice work man. Thanks for sharing the video - looks like a rewarding experience to have the training pay off. I dont think I would make it far with 200lbs in soft sand or on firm ground as far as that goes.