Trailcam straps

Rokwiia

WKR
Some years ago, I had a trailcam stolen. It irked me and ultimately changed my approach to putting trailcams in the woods. Now, I affix bark onto my trailcams and that makes them a lot more difficult to see. That was step one.

Next was the trailcam strap. In the past, I've used trailcam straps provided by the manufacturer. They were always the weak link as I could see them from a distance. Now, I use camo paracord rather than a strap. It securely holds the trailcam to the tree and allows for a quick-release knot capability so I can put the trailcam up and take it off easily.

Here is a picture of a tree on which a trailcam has been placed. The trailcam is on the opposite side of the tree so you won't see it but should be able to easily see the straps, right? I think the camo paracord now makes it very difficult to see and I like how I can get it on and off with a quick-release system.

I've also included a picture of one of my trailcams along with both camo and solid-brown paracord. The difference is noticeable.

Trailcam location.jpgParacord camo.jpg

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
Looks good. I prefer to make the little screw in mounts so I can more easily adjust the angle. I also carry a climbing stick with me so I can hang them about 10 feet high. Out of line of sight and out of reach. This is for whitetails.

I just started using trail cams and am using the metal strap. I had trouble finding one, I’m assuming it’s a little old school. I was hoping this would deter most thieves. Have you used them?

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
There are three approaches:

1) Hide it
2) Secure it
3) Put it out of ordinary reach

I've always assumed that if the bad guy saw a trailcam, they'd likely damage out of spite it if they couldn't remove it. Putting it up on a tree is an excellent idea and I even considered a climbing stick. In the end, I nixed that idea in favor of safety.