Trail Saw

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys using for a trail saw? I was t1682683689366.pnghinking about buying a Silky Katana boy. I believe it has a 14" blade.

NB7

WKR
dang that big ol thing looks like a trailblazing saw
Silky makes a good product though and I have a silky pocket boy. Not the lightest saw out there but high quality. I'm sure many will chime in with better options

Hardtak

FNG
I use a silky ibuki, I got that style so I can pack it like a scabbard on the side of my saddle.
I don't think you can go wrong with any silky saw, just a matter of what one fits your needs.

Reactions: EdP

cjdewese

WKR
Batrery powered chainsaw, the dewalts are nice and light. Also any good quality folding saw will work too. Whatever you can pack in.

OP
J

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
how does the Katana Boy compare to the Big Boy 2000? Anyone cut any big blown downs with either of these?

Bachto

WKR
I have the big boy, but I haven't cut any large blow downs with it. Just cut smaller logs for firewood. It is a great saw though, I love it.

taskswap

WKR
In order from heaviest/most functional down to lightest:

Clearing trails: Atlas 40V brushless, Harbor Freight, $99. I don't own a property with woodland on it any longer, so I traded my Echo for this - one less carb to keep cleaning and running smoothly. I own a Katanaboy, but I only use it around the house if I forget to charge the Atlas' battery. It's just too big for me for most other purposes. :)

Multi-day trips where my load is shared with partner(s): Silky Gomboy 300.

Multi-day trips where I want a "real saw" but a want to save a few ounces: Silky Professional F180. IMO this is an under-appreciated product. Folding handle for easy storage, same Silky quality as a Katanaboy/Gomboy but at a realistic "field carry" weight.

What I loan out: Outdoor Edge Grizsaw. This is a not-as-well-known OE product that in my opinion is actually a really well-made little device. It has a nice, locking plastic sheath and the blade handle has a steel reinforcement in it so it's rugged. The cut of the teeth is suitable both for bone and wood although like many hybrids, it's not as "fast" in either as a dedicated-task blade would be.

Lightweight Backpacking/Hunting. Silky Tsurugi 200m blade. I cut off 1.5" from the tang to save weight, then 3D printed a basic "handle". This is my lightest "real" saw at 3.4oz, while still being extremely functional and fast cutting. Since it doesn't fold I use a piece of plastic trim that came with a set of car wiper blades as a protector and just hold it on with tape.

Day trips where bone would be my first priority: Havalon Talon Saw Blade. If I'm hunting I probably have my Talon with me because I use it a lot for field dressing. Havalon makes a saw blade that isn't very long and works OK for smaller stuff. The cut of the teeth is best suited for bone but it will definitely cut wood in a pinch.

Last edited:
OP
J

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
I just use an 18"blade corona pruning saw and a leather scabbard from outfitters pack station.

Thats what im going to replace, I think the Katanna Boy will handle anything the Corona saw will. The Katanna Boy has a 20" Blade but it folds in half and I think only weighs 2lbs.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a rexbeti around my property and take it in my canoe every trip. They did have a sale on them $18 amazon

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Big Boy and buddy has a Katanaboy silky saws, both excellent. The big boy is adequate for most work, but when you have a large tree the katanaboy has no equal other than a chainsaw. These saws cut only on the pull stroke, so when sawing and the tree binds, there is potential for bending the blade or breaking the tip. The katanaboy blades are very expensive, I’d suggest trying a big boy if you haven’t used these saws before.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Silky Zubat. Use Velcro to hold a plastic edge gard on and it is lighter than a folder while also working better.20210314_152303.jpg20210314_152316.jpg20210314_152136.jpg

Last edited:

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys using for a trail saw? I was tView attachment 547721hinking about buying a Silky Katana boy. I believe it has a 14" blade.
We use one when packing with llamas. Read an article in Western Hunter by long-time horse packer George Bettis and ordered one. Incredibly sharp and easy to cut out downfall or a good stack of camp firewood in the backcountry. Also easier to pack than my vintage cross-cut saw.

I carry a dwalt 12" on a saddle mount. Three batteries and you can cut all day. It will go through a 14" lodgepole in about 30 sec. A 16" fir -- you will have to work at but it will do it.

Like even the hand saws, they all run a narrow kerf so you have to stay on your toes and avoid the pinch.

When we can hunt in pairs, I have a 18" arbor pull saw on one horse to cut the 6" and less downfall. It's also handy for cutting limbs from the back of a horse to get that extra height advantage.

I also carry an 18" dandy saw on my horse. When I don't have a recip saw with me, I prefer it for quartering elk. I did 28 elk with it before I sent it back for sharpening.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I’m definitely going to check out that Silky “Zubat”..thanks for sharing Marbles
Anybody using those old Sawvivor 18” folding saw? They were made in Canada!

pirogue

WKR
For packing light, a Silky F180. Around camp, a silky Zubat. For treestand placement and maintenance, a Silky telescoping Longboy.

bmart2622

WKR
I carry a Fanno but have used the Silkys before and they work well and would probably be what I would buy next. I dont use a saw for quartering elk so my choice is based on deadfall/blowdowns