Trail Runners VS Light Hiking Boot

SoDaky

WKR
For me it’s terrain specific.Some areas,steep and rocky for instance,wouldn’t think of ‘runners’.Other areas wouldn’t think of boots,ie,some areas of say NM or eastern Mt.

Hoka One One came out with an ultra light hiking boot the " Kaha". Looks like a cross between their trail running shoes and a traditional hiking boot. Think they weigh a little over a pound per boot. Might be what your looking for if you don't mind the Hoka look.

TXNHNTR

FNG
I plan on trying the Saloman X Ultra 3 Mid GTX this year for my Colorado archery elk hunt. So far on all my hikes with them here they've been pretty nice.

pokorn28

FNG
For what it’s worth I hunted last year in a set of Merrell Chameleon 7’s (the waterproof version) with no issue.

A hunting partner took down a moose and we packed him out, albeit only a mile or less through easy hiking. Nonetheless I did my part.

Same guy calls my Merrells “Mall Hikers” and if he sees this he may chime in...

On the flip side, I didn’t experience any blisters or failure to perform. This was in the Salmon area of Idaho which for a guy from Houston, TX isn’t considered mild terrain.

We put somewhere in the neighborhood of 70’ish miles that week on foot and I was very pleased.

I read an article reporting a study the army did on rucking and it equates 1 pound on your feet to 5 pounds on your back.

By the end of the hunt, we were all wearing some version of Mall Hiker, be it Solomon or Merrell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've backpacked literally hundreds of miles in Salomon speed cross trail runners here in AK. Many of those miles were through swamps, and wet socks are pretty much a given. I do like swapping the insoles with green super feet as it adds some support and improves the torsional ridgidity in uneven terrain.
Loads up to 70ish pounds (90 is my typical max under other conditions) with no issues.

I switch to boots for most mountain hunts when I know I can keep my feet dry, and in the later season where cold weather makes the wet sock method less desireable.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The old backpacking adage is a pound on your feet is like 5 in your pack or something. Point being is that heavy footgear contributes to fatigue fast. Using light footgear (and other light gear) is in vogue in the backpacking world now and fastpacking with sneakers is the ultimate manifestation of that trend. However, that is the same crowd that is spending gobs of $ to get their backpacking loads well down below #20 for multiday hikes.

While it is definitely appealing, the odds are your kit going in is going to be heavier than a light backpacking load due to items like optics etc, bullets, etc. let’s say 30-40 lbs vs 20-25 lbs for a backpacker. if you get lucky then you will be packing out meat and your load could go much, much higher. Stiff soles, ankle support and overall boot stiffness really payoff with heavier loads.

Light shoes certainly can be done. I have seen Nepalese sherpas haul god awful loads up mountains in dime store flip flops. However, If you go with lighter footgear, make sure you train it on rough terrain with realistic loading. You need to strengthen your feet and ankles to account for the lower level of support - both for your comfort but also for injury protection.
Yep. My feet, ankles, and legs, are absolutely worked on days with a lot of side hilling. I can wear my regular boots and feel fine over the same terrain. I have a friend who hunts in tennis shoes. I swear he has rubber ankles. I've seen him turn his ankles so many times I don't even ask if he's ok anymore. Not for me, but a lot of guys like those light hikers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10 years ago, give or take, I made the switch from burly boots to light trail runners or approach shoes. Forefoot support is key for hunting. If you have slop there, you will have a miserable off-trail experience. I currently use La Sportiva tx2s, which are quiet, grippy, and very light. I can go 10-15 miles a day off trail in the mountains and hump a little more than half my body weight in them, no problem (at least with my feet). My Danner boots hang out in the truck, and l'll slip them on for the heavy hauling.