Trail Ethics

I know when I do run into other hunters, I like for them to chat with me...I’d rather run into them once than over and over because I guessed wrong on where they would go. Most of the time, there’s so much ground to cover, a 5 minute conversation ensures solitude for the rest of the day...

It's called respect. If your back in 8 miles, that take a lot effort. I respect the dedication it takes to get there. If your back in that far there's usually more than on place to go, more than one place to hunt. The day is not wasted, ever.

Like I said, it's called respect. Some may call it courtesy. If you want to go, go ahead.

I will just courteously say excuse me and be on my way. Please respect the fact that I would prefer not to be talking to people I do not know about what I am doing. If someone is actually hunting in a place I want to hunt I will move on and if someone comes into the place I am hunting I will also move on. To me that is being courteous.
Also a lot depends on first impressions but many folks do not impress me very much. Someone tip toeing along a trail and no animals are about then I just want to get away from them. I certainly do not need to be schooled on what respect is....thanks anyway, thou.

one of the reasons my OTC, out of state hunts are archery hunts. I may see a couple other hunters but not many in my areas of choice. I agree with other posts and have done so a few times, talk with the other hunter if you can; "good morning, what's your plan today...". It's usually a good start. But be prepared for a variety of answers. I've had hunters mostly be cooperative but one here & there can be a real you know what with their answer.
Last season, a young hunter came up behind me on a AZ trail in the predawn light. Full of energy, he easily caught up to my 61yo legs.
So I asked the question.
He was intent on going to "my" upper basin. Meanwhile sized up the other hunter-equipment-gear, etc = lacked experience.
So rather than hunt behind Mr. Leadfoot, I altered my morning plan, going with plan/area B.
Knowing my area, I moved to a ridgeline just down from "my" basin. And as luck has it, the other hunter chased the herd my way.
So other hunters can "help" you, just know your area & adjust as best you can.

I know when I do run into other hunters, I like for them to chat with me...I’d rather run into them once than over and over because I guessed wrong on where they would go. Most of the time, there’s so much ground to cover, a 5 minute conversation ensures solitude for the rest of the day...

I agree.

If someone doesn't have the time or desire to compare notes, that just releases me from any responsibility in any 2nd or 3rd or 4th encounters we may have. Trust me, I don't want to see you 2 or 3 or 4 times either.

BTW - I'd quietly walk past Elmer and continue on my way.

I make it a point to talk with everybody I can when I encounter them. Doesn’t matter if it’s on the trail, at the trailhead or somebody turning their rig around at camp. I’ve learned plenty as a result and met some great guys...
Of course I always take statements about game seen ( or not) with a grain of salt...

I will chat with people if they see me. If not, I will just go in a different direction. When I do talk to them, I try to find out where they are headed and let them know I will be going a different direction. If I run into folks in "my" spot, I leave quietly and go somewhere else. This has sometimes been a bust but just as often I have found a new favorite spot. In the OP scenario, it sounds like the only access to the area is "that" trail. That's why I don't depend on just one place to hunt.

cf1928aaeec12a75abd49bf0d78dab2a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with others that a "trail" is for all public use but courtesy and a good attitude goes a long way in enjoying your hunt. That same person may be of great use later in the day...

If I felt like I was going to continuously encounter people on a trail, maybe it's time to get off the trail and go hiking in the direction I please?

Tricky one, but the trails are the roads. You can't claim a highway, and the same goes for trails in public ground. But if someone is on an animal and you're risking screwing them, I believe common courtesy would recommend you back off till he's done or out of the way.

Back