Trail cam for home security

rdbse

FNG
I searched and could not find much information. Any advice on using a trail cam for home security or should I just get a dedicated security camera. Looking for something I can set up when I go on vacation and will alert phone app to activity.

Rob5589

WKR
The downside I see is that a trail cam records on a sd (or similar) card outdoors where it can be accessed by a bad guy. Whereas a dedicated security system records to a hard drive inside the home and or a cloud based service. If there are cloud based storage type trail cams it would be a viable option.

gelton

WKR
I use em, not with video unless you want to burn through batteries, but I have four on my property. One on the drive-in, one facing the barn, and one facing the front door. The fourth is for actual game.

Work well enough. I just assume that a license plate, description of the intruder, and auto type should be enough info to help law enforcement track down the perps.

Unless someone is really looking hard (and I doubt someone about to commit a crime will take their time) they are pretty well hidden.

I would look at a dedicated security cam. Trail cams definitely can come in handy in that role but they have a bunch of shortcomings too.

Agross

WKR
It’s just a router you plug in, and then the cameras, you just mount the bases, just a screw and a half ball magnet where you want and you can position the camera at whatever angle you need to the bases. Then once in a while you take the camera down and charge them. But they keep a charge for a long time. The newest model had a monthly fee, so we bought the previous year model, no monthly fee . You just buy it and yer done, and at that time the one we bought had better reviews .

OP
R

rdbse

FNG
T
It’s just a router you plug in, and then the cameras, you just mount the bases, just a screw and a half ball magnet where you want and you can position the camera at whatever angle you need to the bases. Then once in a while you take the camera down and charge them. But they keep a charge for a long time. The newest model had a monthly fee, so we bought the previous year model, no monthly fee . You just buy it and yer done, and at that time the one we bought had better reviews .
Thanks for the info.

Fullfan

WKR
I use 4 Tactacam reveal trail cameras. I live remote, closest neighbor is 3/4 mile away. Which makes he a great target for a daytime burglary. The canes send me pics, and if I don’t like what I see I can call several buds that live nearby. The cameras work even if the power goes out. Just have to hide them.

I use them simply for the purpose of knowing who to look for after the fact. Most thieves aren't going to take the time to climb up into the tree/ telephone pole/ etc to pull the card, even if they see the camera.

From my experience, sheriff's deputies know who it is even with the shittiest picture. It's normally a shit bag they have been trying to catch up with for a few months or someone who just got out.

Fullfan

WKR
We live very remote, have security cameras and tactacam reveals. Nice part about the Tactacams, they send me pics. And if need be I can call my closest relative to do some checking around. Have discovered the WIFI on my security cameras does not do real well in bad weather. Bad guys will look for and disable security cameras. Cellular trail cameras are easy to hide, and not given much thought when a thief shows up.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Reolink has some hybrid models that use 4g and have great picture quality. Solar panels they include seem to work.

pirogue

WKR
. Most thieves aren't going to take the time to climb up into the tree/ telephone pole/ etc to

From my experience, sheriff's deputies know who it is even with the shittiest picture. It's normally a shit bag they have been trying to catch up with for a few months or someone who just got out.
Fully agree, and unfortunately based on a very recent experience.

I have been trying to figure out a security solution lately. Trail cams are already in use. Rather spend time figuring it out than spend time with insurance adjuster.

If you have WIFI, I use a Eufy outdoor security camera. Reasonably priced and no monthly contract. Detects motion and records a clip. Can also detect if it’s a human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have WIFI, I use a Eufy outdoor security camera. Reasonably priced and no monthly contract. Detects motion and records a clip. Can also detect if it’s a human.

The video is also really clear.
4d44e79c3ce2da6f2b25bf5878848d83.jpg

208hntr

FNG
- If you have wifi: Blink security cameras are hard to beat. They take videos and notify your phone when there is activity. You can also talk through the camera if you want. (You also don't have to pay for a subscription if you put a thumb drive in the sync module)

- If you don't have wifi but do have cell reception: Spypoint cell cameras are great for photos that send to an app on your phone. If you don't have too many photos each month, you can use the free subscription service (the only trail cam company with a free subscription as far as I know)