Trading rifles etiquette or general process

I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 for sale in the classifieds. A member here contacted me about a trade that I happen to be interested in. He's suggesting that we ship our rifles to each other at the same time to FFLs in each other's area to inspect them and then fill out the necessary paperwork. I've never traded rifles or guns out of state before. Is this how it's normally done or how should I go about this? Any suggestions from those that have done this before? Thank you.

bozeman

WKR
Take it to your FFL, have them transfer it to the other FFL....inspection on both sides. Have him to the same. A little extra $$, but to me, its worth it. Also, pay for insurance on the shipping in case of damage. Don't play it cheap. Just my .02.

TaperPin

WKR
Hopefully it all works out fine. Any kind of long distance trade, FFL involved or not, takes all the things that can go wrong and multiplies it by two.

As long as the risk is adjusted for in the price I’ve done a number of transactions with low probability of success and been happy with the outcome even when they don’t work out once in a while. There’s no way a long distance transaction is worth as much as a face to face trade.

Rich M

WKR
It seems like a possibility - most guys I've dealt with have been very upright and decent. The FFL can handle the transaction and make sure things are good on both sides.

Think about what would cause you to not want the trade. blemishes? or could it be the balance of the rifle? If it is the balance - go heft one in a gun shop before doing the trade.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just did this exact thing. Just make sure the person has good feedback and that you get lots of pics so you feel good about the rifle.