Trade a Kimber for a Savage UL?

What to do? I have a Kimber in 280ai that I like but I like my suppressor even more. I dont know if I should have the barrel cut and a shoulder added to shoot suppressed or just sell it and get a 280ai Savage UL that a local is selling for $1300. I would like to keep the caliber as I have everything to reload for it and I just like the 280ai. I would rather have a 20" barrel but the 22" on the Savage is as sort as I have seen a factory 280ai.

I know the obvious answer is to just have both but I am not a gun collector and dont like to hold onto things I dont use.

Has anyone seen any loss of accuracy or weirdness from putting a can on such a thin barrel?

Lytro

WKR
Have you held a Savage UL? Other than the proof barrel, they look and feel like junk. Sloppy bolt and a trigger guard that I have a hard time believing wouldn't break extremely easily.

OP
MuleyFever
Have you held a Savage UL? Other than the proof barrel, they look and feel like junk. Sloppy bolt and a trigger guard that I have a hard time believing wouldn't break extremely easily.
I have not, so thanks for pointing that out.

OP
MuleyFever
Bet the savage will outshoot the Kimber. There is a reason that the phrase “Kimber roulette” exists. Just saying. And I’ve had 2 Kimbers so I ain’t hating.
My Kimber actually shoots really well. I just wonder if it will handle being chopped and the weight of a can on the thin barrel. I hate to mess it up. I just dont see me grabbing it when there is a capable suppressed rifle next to it in the safe.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My Kimber actually shoots really well. I just wonder if it will handle being chopped and the weight of a can on the thin barrel. I hate to mess it up. I just dont see me grabbing it when there is a capable suppressed rifle next to it in the safe.

There are no issues caused by thin barrels and suppressors. Done by someone that knows what they are doing, it will shoot as good or better than it does now.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I love savages , have more of those than any other brand( 3 -99's, 3 -110's) but I'm not trading my kimber Montana for another. I've handled a couple UL's and don't care for them, actually much prefer their older model lightweight hunter or storm.

Side note: Have a couple UL's on sale at a local store in 6.5 prc for around $950

codybrown

FNG
Hard to beat a Montana if it shoots good. Keep what you have and make it work for your needs. Not ragging on savages, I have quite a few. But if you haven't held their ultralight you may be disappointed trading off what you already have.

I almost bought an Adirondack for $1800. Friend offered me a savage ultra light hunter (older one) that was a little heavier but 1/3 of the price. I took it. No regrets. But I do drill over that 1 lb less Kimber often.

As far as shooting ability. All light weight rifles are a bit more challenging to shoot. My savage does well for 3 shots then it opens up tremendously.

Long Cut

WKR
I held a Savage 110 UL next to a Tikka Roughtech Ember and aside from the bolt/action, the Savage felt significantly better in MY hands.

I’d go Kimber over Savage IF the Kimber shoots well for you. Kimber will be more compact as well a 22-24” barrel with a suppressor sounds miserable to carry around. Cut the Kimber to 16-18” and put a can on it.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I have the savage Ultralite in 280ai and a Christensen Ridgeline in 7mm. If I’m being honest, I prefer the feel of the savage. It shoots 160 accubonds tighter than 3/4”. No experience with the kimber.

Hard to beat a Montana if it shoots good. Keep what you have and make it work for your needs. Not ragging on savages, I have quite a few. But if you haven't held their ultralight you may be disappointed trading off what you already have.

Potentially a big "if". But the odds are better the FUGLY Savage UL will be a shooter with COTS ammo and be even better with hand-loads.

As far the OP, what does the current Kimber do and what does the Savage UL do? If 100% pleased with the Kimber, keep it. If the Savage is demonstrably better for what you need, make the change (or just purchase it and keep the Kimber).

codybrown

FNG
Potentially a big "if". But the odds are better the FUGLY Savage UL will be a shooter with COTS ammo and be even better with hand-loads.

As far the OP, what does the current Kimber do and what does the Savage UL do? If 100% pleased with the Kimber, keep it. If the Savage is demonstrably better for what you need, make the change (or just purchase it and keep the Kimber).
I realize that. But since he's already got the Kimber and he says it shoots really well, if it was me I'd stick with what I already have.

Chopping a thin barrel and adding a can will change the barrel's harmonics, but doing it and shooting it will tell you if it made the harmonic profile better or worse. In theory it would make the barrel slightly stiffer(chopping), but adding the can may add some whipping.. Only trying it will tell..