Trad kill thread 2024

Here's my kill this week.

I shanked an 8 yard shot at a bull after the cows he was with nearly....I mean 10" from my hand as I held at full draw close, bumped around me. I had great warning with the shadows coming from behind them....it was perfect. The bull crossed at 8 yards and true to myself, I soaked a 190gr simmons into a branch hidden in the fireweed. I was certain he was smoked so when he stopped to look over his shoulder at 18 yards....I didn't shoot. I watched him hit a flat bench at 80 and he had no holes!

I stepped out my shot and found that arrow. Shit.

Next day I have a 24 yard shot with a sapling covering the vitals so I pass.

Since then I haven't had a shot and proceeded to break my riser coming down a nasty hill.

Good riddance as that damn thing was more into wood than fur. I have a wheel bow in my hands as a get by till tomorrow when I can run to town and grab my toelkes.

View attachment 767761

Oh no. Just when I get discouraged about my own elk season, I see stuff like this. I’m sorry man, I’ve been there too (minus the broken bow).

Wrench

WKR
Oh no. Just when I get discouraged about my own elk season, I see stuff like this. I’m sorry man, I’ve been there too (minus the broken bow).
It got worse. I stuck a bull on a quartering to me shot with me having the elevation advantage by 6 feet. I shot at about 18 yards and the shot opportunity was through the scapula. I 100% expected to get through it....but I think it skidded on it a bit and smoked my energy. I ended up with what looked like about 6" of penetration. I had no real blood to work with and then we got POUNDED by the storm of the century....erasing 100% of any hope. You being familiar with the north Idaho jungle can appreciate the difficulties in tracking in the rain.

I lost.

I drew on 3 elk and let 2 arrows loose. That's better than average...but it hurts. My toelke has never not eaten elk.

What is your sharpening technique with the Ace?

It got worse. I stuck a bull on a quartering to me shot with me having the elevation advantage by 6 feet. I shot at about 18 yards and the shot opportunity was through the scapula. I 100% expected to get through it....but I think it skidded on it a bit and smoked my energy. I ended up with what looked like about 6" of penetration. I had no real blood to work with and then we got POUNDED by the storm of the century....erasing 100% of any hope. You being familiar with the north Idaho jungle can appreciate the difficulties in tracking in the rain.

I lost.

I drew on 3 elk and let 2 arrows loose. That's better than average...but it hurts. My toelke has never not eaten elk.
Must have been that storm last week. I wasn’t in the woods, but my buddy said it was insane. There were trees falling all around him.

Sorry about the bull. I’m up here right now trying to give it one last hurrah for archery season, and it’s as quiet as a mouse, minus the wind.

ozyclint

WKR
I swear deer of any description have a deflector shield around them. Something always happens. I've hit saplings twice.
I reckon a spider web would be enough to deflect an arrow if it was a deer that was behind it.