Tough moose meat?

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
No different than beef. Some are tender and some aren’t. It’s not like moose are grain fed for 3 months before they are killed.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Get a Jaccard meat tenderizer. I just tried it on Elk top round, it works great. A member here mentioned it so I tried it.

AKDoc

WKR
My wife makes wonderful moose meals in the crock pot...Irish stews, chilis and curry moose are our favorites. The meat is always nicely done and tender.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Weve done several pot roasts that have been fine. Just weird the steaks are so tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake_h223

FNG
My uncle has hunted moose for 40+ years and been in on 60+ kills. He swears it has to do with how much adrenaline they have when the are killed. If it’s a quick clean kill and the animal isn’t spooked and running they usually end up tender. I’ve had good luck on the 5 bulls I’ve taken all the way up to a 65”. Best game out there in my opinion.

I shot a Newfoundland Cow. Very mature Cow. Wasn't the best meat. Very tough. In fact, I never went Moose hunting again. I'm back to Elk.. and I thought I was the only one who didn't like Moose...

We cube and shish-kabob a lot of steak meat from moose, caribou, elk, deer, sheep. Often let it sit in a marinade or at least seasoned for a few hrs up to a few days. Hot grill, drip melted butter over the top, cook rare or medium rare…do not over cook!

Had moose kabobs yesterday…tender and great flavored. The other half of the package is in the fridge for Monday’s grilled lunch.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
Try piercing it with a fork and marinating it overnight in pineapple juice...seems to tendarize it a bit.

tt280AI

FNG
I've only taken one moose, which was last year, and the straps have been great! A 4 brow tine, 54" wide stud.

chindits

WKR
Yup tough. Makes all my elk except one road kill cow seem tender.

My bull a mid size shiras was definitely stressed. Made a 1 mile plus stalk on him and got busted at 30 yards. I was a little high on a shot in the willows. Dropped him but I still had to reload my ML to finish him. That takes time. I broke him down solo through the night with rain and snow. Wife and buddy was a huge help on the pack out the next day. In coolers and heading home by the next afternoon. Never again, elk is hard enough to man pack.

I'm not the op but would love that recipe

I just sent the recipe in a PM to another member and I didn’t feel like writing it all up on here again, so I just took a snapshot and pasted it below. Hope you enjoy it!

de9701de5345d049e55631a7f8aed5a7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk