Torn - Sig or Leupold RF

Blacktail_Brown

FNG
Classified Approved
I have looked on here to see if this has been discussed and have not seen anyone mention it. I am in the market for a new rangefinder for rifle hunting. For archery, I have really liked the Leupold Full Draw. Getting a rangefinder with ballistics for rifle hunting is what I'm aiming for next.

I have narrowed it down to the Leupold RX 5000 or the Sig Kylo 8K. I am by no means a long range shooter, so being able to stretch it for 2 miles is less important to me. I am most curious about ease of use, app features, and overall quality, and accuracy.

No direct experience with the 8k, just the 5k, and I really dislike the blue tint on the 5k, and will probably be going to RF binos next season. It's not directly an answer, but I think that if you're going to be in the market for new, looking at rf binos going to be the move with what's on the market now.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the 4k and like it. Image stabilization is super nice and the ability to drop pins is pretty cool too but it’s got some kinks seems like.

dkim

FNG
I purchased a Leupold RX-5000. It ranged great but has horrible ballistics support. The provided ballistic groups are only good if you zero at 200 yds. Customer support was no help addressing my use of a 100 yard zero range.

I returned it and bought a Sig 5K (the same price as the Leupold). It also ranges great and has much better ballistics support. The ballistic groups use a 100 yard zero, and you can get more precise using the Applied Ballistics Light feature on the Sig app for your phone. You can select the specific bullet that you shoot (assuming it's in their library). The unit has environmental sensors for altitude, temp, pressure. You just need to provide avg velocity and zero range for your bullet. Range and the elevation correction in MOA or Mils is provided.

The big feature Leupold pushed was that you could range and then drop the ranged point onto OnX maps. This is a nice feature. The Sig also does that with Basemaps instead of OnX.

However, if you can range a point, it's easy enough to use the compass feature on OnX to get a pretty close point dropped on the OnX map.

OP
Blacktail_Brown

Blacktail_Brown

FNG
Classified Approved
I purchased a Leupold RX-5000. It ranged great but has horrible ballistics support. The provided ballistic groups are only good if you zero at 200 yds. Customer support was no help addressing my use of a 100 yard zero range.

I returned it and bought a Sig 5K (the same price as the Leupold). It also ranges great and has much better ballistics support. The ballistic groups use a 100 yard zero, and you can get more precise using the Applied Ballistics Light feature on the Sig app for your phone. You can select the specific bullet that you shoot (assuming it's in their library). The unit has environmental sensors for altitude, temp, pressure. You just need to provide avg velocity and zero range for your bullet. Range and the elevation correction in MOA or Mils is provided.

The big feature Leupold pushed was that you could range and then drop the ranged point onto OnX maps. This is a nice feature. The Sig also does that with Basemaps instead of OnX.

However, if you can range a point, it's easy enough to use the compass feature on OnX to get a pretty close point dropped on the OnX map.
This was the review I was after! This helps a lot. Thank you!

Now that Sig actually has a good warranty I would go with them. They make some really cool stuff but they limited themselves prior to the new guarantee.

Bgusty

FNG
Not either of the ones you're asking about, but the Sig 2800 is on a big sale at Scheels right now for sub $200 for a $400 RF.