Topo Maps

wapitibob

WKR
Thankyou Wapiti Bob!! That's a fantastic bit of knowledge there and saves me time toggling back and forth between different programs and websites.

Are you a GIS guy? Here's my wish-list... Is there any way to save an area or a whole state of Google Earth data on my PC so I don't have to be online? That would be so nice to be able to get back to camp and pull up the area you were in or where you heard that big bull bugling!

Thanks again!

Coop

UsaPhotomaps does this exact thing. Microsoft is currently moving the server so it may be a while before it's back up.
You can see it at JDMcox.com

wapitibob

WKR
On another note, if you go to your chosen national forest, gis section, they have overlays for ownership, water points, vegetation and other info you can add. Sometimes the data is only in shape format which GE can't load but more forests are adding the data sets in KMZ and those will load in GE.
I prefer ArcGis Explorer because it loads shape files as well as NAD referenced forest maps.
There are multiple videos on the vimeo page I listed above that were for a Blog I did, for a FishLake Utah Elk hunt and they show the kinds of overlays you can add. Something to look at on a rainy day if you want to geek out on internet scouting.

ive used otbpmaps twice now and i think there great! custom maps that are tear and water proof. and there customer service has been great as well. in 2010 i forgot to order my map until the week before my hunt and they had it to me before i left. couldnt have been happier!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
ok i got all the way to the wms server list and did not see [o] raster graphics can you help

I had the same trouble. Forget the second set of directions. Just follow the directions from the video in post 8. After you add the map to Google Earth, give it a few minutes to load them.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same trouble. Forget the second set of directions. Just follow the directions from the video in post 8. After you add the map to Google Earth, give it a few minutes to load them.
Yep, sorry guys. It looks like they took down the server that hosted that Topo layer. I'll take down the instructions.

no limits

FNG
I was looking at the aerial topo 1:24,000 at usgs. anybody use these and how do you like them?