Too much power?

I just watched this video. The guy supposedly had licenses and checked his deer in. If it was all really legal it sucks the guy. These officers have a lot of power. I know it’s a hard job and most of the guys are stand up dudes. Do y’all know anything about this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
That was interesting. Definitely abuse of power. Seems to be plenty of legitimate law breakers to go after instead of wasting time with stuff like that.

49ereric

WKR
Game wardens don’t need a search warrant here. I doubt it is an abuse of power when wardens have the right to enter all houses-buildings and search freezers ect.
county police use game wardens to walk onto properties where they are searching for suspects or trying to determine who might be a suspect.
a warden walked onto my moms land when my brother lived there cuz his truck was the same color as a suspected burglar. nothing came of it.

Game wardens don’t need a search warrant here. I doubt it is an abuse of power when wardens have the right to enter all houses-buildings and search freezers ect.
county police use game wardens to walk onto properties where they are searching for suspects or trying to determine who might be a suspect.
a warden walked onto my moms land when my brother lived there cuz his truck was the same color as a suspected burglar. nothing came of it.
Just because it "may" be legal or acceptable in your area doesn't mean its not an abuse of power imo.

Finding a loop hole that applies or doesn't and using that to your advantage when there most likely isn't even a crime actually associated with that enforcement agency is pathetic and an absolutely an abuse of power.

Being shady as hell to catch shady people makes you shady to. Two wrongs don't make a rite.

rodney747

WKR
Very interesting. Very sad but true. IMO they can and do lie! On the flip side thank goodness for the legit officers! The "MY" county tells you what kind of a person you're dealing with. The county belongs to the landowners and tax payers!

Warden still has to have a reason that they have to prove if questioned about it. They can't just walk in because they were bored at the time.

49ereric

WKR
Warden still has to have a reason that they have to prove if questioned about it. They can't just walk in because they were bored at the time.
wardans can make up an excuse easy enough.
it is not an abuse of power cuz the law says they have the right to do so.
read your state laws concerning what a warden can do.

wardans can make up an excuse easy enough.
it is not an abuse of power cuz the law says they have the right to do so.
read your state laws concerning what a warden can do.

No, they really can't. If it doesn't pass muster in front of a judge if it comes to that, it's not valid. Sorry, but it still needs to be reasonable. A game department does not have the right to circumvent the US Constitution without just cause.

That's why in this case the game departments get to be plagued with a civil case and, quite frankly, their sophomoric write up on the "bust" is right up there with slander.

49ereric

WKR
No, they really can't. If it doesn't pass muster in front of a judge if it comes to that, it's not valid. Sorry, but it still needs to be reasonable. A game department does not have the right to circumvent the US Constitution without just cause.

That's why in this case the game departments get to be plagued with a civil case and, quite frankly, their sophomoric write up on the "bust" is right up there with slander.
if you have the tens of thousands of $ to take them to court be my guest.
the average Joe doesn’t have the coin.

if you have the tens of thousands of $ to take them to court be my guest.
the average Joe doesn’t have the coin.

Once again, a game warden can't just randomly stop off at your house, open the garage door, and go through your freezer because you might have some game meat in there or pick the lock to your front door to see if you have any shoulder mounts.

The law only permits to search without a warrant based on the grounds of a legitimate suspicion of a game law violation. They absolutely need to be able to back it up in court the search was just.

Finally watched the whole thing through. I can't decide if it was actually over-reach, or officers acting in good faith on information. Something in the delivery tone I find really annoying tho.

I think what would be more telling is a back ground on how in X number of seasures they had Y convicted on poaching. Poaching cases are already a very difficult case to prove many times, generally they aren't going to put resources at something unless they feel pretty certain they will have a favorable outcome.

Don't have a problem with a GW reference to something as his county. Heck I talk about my county.

Seems like a bunch of people with an ax to grind, likely on both sides.

MattB

WKR
I was involved in a situation years ago where there was an accusation my hunting partner had poached a buck. The situation was all driven by one guy (owner of a site that rhymes with “blackmail.com”) who was buddies with the warden. There was a trophy buck poached (killed and head cut off) about 40 miles from my friend’s property. The two bucks had similar kickers, but the inside spread of the poached was 4-5” wider and anyone with eyes could tell the difference.

The investigational process was similar to this situation although they did not confiscate the rack (they did DNA test the cape). Ultimately nothing came of it and the warden didn’t even have the decency to tell my friend that the case had been concluded.

49ereric

WKR
Once again, a game warden can't just randomly stop off at your house, open the garage door, and go through your freezer because you might have some game meat in there or pick the lock to your front door to see if you have any shoulder mounts.

The law only permits to search without a warrant based on the grounds of a legitimate suspicion of a game law violation. They absolutely need to be able to back it up in court the search was just.
Once again a warden came to my moms land-home walking around cuz they suspected my brother was doing burglaries Which has nothing to do with game violations.
The excuse the warden made was the color of my brother truck matched the suspect but offered no proof of any damn thing. Nothing came of it. Mom would not file a complaint cuz all law enforec is always right. 🤦‍♂️