Too many knife options... Which one?

I've recently been considering spending anywhere from $100-$170 on a fixed blade knife. I'm gonna use it for skinning and neat care. Obviously looking to get the most bang for my buck, what's your opinion?

The options I'm considering are

1- Kestrel Mountain Caper. I love the idea of this knife as it's S90V for cheaper ($130) but I don't like how small it is.

2- Kestrel Skeleton Ovis Hunter. Really leaning towards this knife. Seems high quality S35VN for cheap ($110). I like the blade size, length, and thickness. Seems to be about perfect but haven't found a ton of information about it.

3- Esee Izula. This is about as cheap as it goes. ($70) Considering it but doubt full bout it. Seems like a great little knife, similar to the Ovis Hunter?

4-Benchmade. This is a broad sprectrum but open to benchmade. Wouldn't spend more than $200 for a Benchmade. Is their quality better than Kestrel. Is it worth paying premium for the name?

5- Tyto Fannin. This knife intrigues me. Not much out there on it but it seems to be a competitor to Kestrel. Price is relatively decent ($130) and seems to be a quality knife.

These are some of my options. I would love to hear reviews and your opinions on any of knives you have that you would recommend. It's mostly for meat care and working deer/elk but I prefer a little thinker spine.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I like a good folder or fixed blade knife just as much as anyone but I have to say for skinning and butchering of game animals I think the best option is a replaceable blade knife, doesn't really matter which one as they all seam good but I do prefer the Outdoor Edge knife with its thicker blades and more supportive blade holding system. I have a bunch of knives that just set around in a drawer now that I have went the replaceable route.

With a replaceable blade system you always have a sharp blade without the hassle of sharpening which can be a big help when its 10 pm, dark as dark gets and one is trying to get an animal skinned and out of the woods. A lot of guys claim they can make it through an elk with one blade and still have a somewhat sharp blade but I can't, I know sharp and as soon as a blade starts to drag a little it drives me crazy as there is enough to fight when dealing with an elk and my blade doesn't need to be one of them things. Takes me two blades to skin and quarter an elk plus another to deal with the head.

When I started with the replaceable blade knife I carried a fixed blade in my pack just to have it but have stopped taking the fixed blade since the replaceable has proven itself over the last couple years. I do carry a good folder in my pants pocket for everyday use and keep a couple fixed blades in my vehicle hunting kit just in case.

I like the clip point on this knife it’s the perfect shape and size for gutting, the blade is thicker so it’s more resilient and the blade has a little bit steeper angle so it doesn’t dull when you hit bone. The shape of the blade also makes it decent for skinning. There is a cheaper version made of different steel and I believe made in Germany still but assembled elsewhere that is about half this price. I could use this knife for everything, but I also have the benchmade saddle mountain skinner for skinning. I have run everything from buck knives to disposable blade knives and this is by far my favorite that I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
MY TAKE:
I would handle a few to see the size and blade you like best. Personally I don't like the skelotonized knives or anything that catches on my gloves....as I almost always wear latex or Nitrile gloves when processing an animal to keep the meat cleaner. I prefer a 3 1/2"-4" fixed blade knife as it will outperform those replaceable blade knives by a mile.

Edit a year later; I picked up the Benchmade Altitude late last year and really like it! Super light, Steel is phenomenal and the skeletonize handle actually works good with nitrile gloves.

You are correct in assuming the steel matters...but most of the newer particle steels are very good and even the older D2 type steels keep a great edge. So many good steels- too many to mention. The CPM steels are fantastic.

IME, When you get up into S90V,S110v those will hold a better edge longer as advertised...but they are also a little more work to sharpen as the carbides in those are extremely hard and not all stones will sharpen them.

Get a good Lansky, Gatco or Edge pro Diamond sharpening system with the fine stones.

Last edited:
OP
a_noob_hunter
MY TAKE:
I would handle a few to see the size and blade you like best. Personally I don't like the skelotonized knives or anything that catches on my gloves....as I almost always wear latex or Nitrile gloves when processing an animal to keep the meat cleaner. I prefer a 3 1/2"-4" fixed blade knife as it will outperform those replaceable blade knives by a mile.

You are correct in assuming the steel matters...but most of the newer particle steels are very good and even the older D2 type steels keep a great edge. So many good steels- too many to mention. The CPM steels are fantastic.

IME, When you get up into S90V,S110v those will hold a better edge longer as advertised...but they are also a little more work to sharpen as the carbides in those are extremely hard and not all stones will sharpen them.

Get a good Lansky, Gatco or Edge pro Diamond sharpening system with the fine stones.

I would probably put a handle of some kind on the skeletonized knives. I used a replaceable blade outdoor edge 3" last year for a muley and couple antelope. Really didn't like having to change the blades and discard later. I went through 1 blade and got the second relatively dull on a muley and not really wanting to have to do that on an elk. I've heard good stuff about Kestrel and knives of the likes that I'm considering one simply because I might be working quite a few big game. Replacement blades work but not ideal

mlob1one

WKR
I haven't tried all on your list, but I have both an Izula and an Izula 2. The extra 1/2" handle on the 2 is the one I seem to put in my pack more than the Izula, and I prefer the handle vs a skeletonized knife for some of the cuts. They make really great blades and have a solid warranty.

I also carry a replaceable blade system that's light and super handy for speed.

Of the 9 muleys and one elk I skinned last season, I think my wife used 3 blades on the deer, and 2 on one elk. And I used the Izula 2 and honed up the edge 2 or 3 times. Last year was a great year.

I don't see myself changing anytime soon. Good luck on your search.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
I'm going to be changing up my knives this year as well. I'm looking at the new fixed blade RazorMax from Outdoor Edge and their Zip Pro. I have swing blade, razor blaze, and used a razor pro last year. I love the knives, especially the zipper blade, but I found switching back and forth on the Razor Pro to be not very handy. I think having them as two different knives will streamline the process.

I like the look and price point of the Kestrels, buddy of mine uses and likes them. If I was going to drop serious coin on a new fixed blade I would have a hard time not going with a S90v blade like the Benchmade Altitude.

Lawnboi

WKR
My 2 cents. I like knives, have more than I need. Personally I’m not a huge fan of the skeleton knives, especially if it’s an all around knife that I’ll be sitting down cutting up meat with. I like a handle, I also prefer a grippy handle, something with a nice finger stop to avoid sliding up the blade. I also prefer it if the handle is orange, too may times Iv had to search for a knife Iv set down.

I prefer 3-4 in, flat ground blade of fairly thin stock for a meat knife.

The only knife in your list if personally used is the izula and IMO it’s too thick for a knife used mainly for cutting meat, also it’s pretty short.

I’d check out the lt Wright small northern hunter: of all the knives Iv had, it’s my favorite for cleaning animals. Thin stock, aebl steel with a great heat treat. Thin stock with a great point. Stainless but easy to touch up. Affordable with a nice comfy handle.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I almost went with the Izula but instead went with the ESEE 3 with G10 handles. I liked having a little more real estate with the knife in my hands and have found it to be the perfect fit for me. I’ve used it on a lot of animals for skinning and found it to be just about perfect. The compact and small handled knives work for some but I found I preferred something with a slightly larger handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Pick the one that appeals to you and use your best judgement.

Amazing how many people are afraid try things for themselves.

Wrench

WKR
3b5180a60e869bf80f29ad3f216b194e_zps855e333b.jpgI have a bunch of high budget knives, but this is too simple and effective. Swiss army sharp, a blade that cuts from the underside of the hide to eliminate hair cuts, a bone saw like a leatherman but longer, tweezers and a toothpick.

I've since gone to the camillus sharpener with the ceramic, carbide and such in a light package.

This very knife has been through at least 30 elk and 10 bears.....and a ton of deer.

The blade gets laughed at by some....until they see it in action. It's longer than the typical swiss.....and sharp.

Shraggs

WKR
Yep same for me 3-4” blade with usable handle. If it’s deer and I’m gutting I like a drop of clip point. If I’m field boning I like a skinner pattern and lean 4” for elk. A skinner will skin so quickly and are also better in my hand removing muscles than a drop point. Two examples are the spyderco bill moran skinner, if you can find one and the bark river classic trailing point.

Those knives weigh 3 and 4 oz respectively. The amount of work a 4” blade can do and in saved time to me is so worth an extra once versus these small knives.

I do add a bark river pro scalpel model weighing an oz to aid in initial incisions and fine detail skinning or trophy caping.

16Bore

WKR
Geez man....the nice thing is as you sharpen they get even lighter!

Nothing like a $35 Havalon for the work and a $16 Vic for making meat.

OP
a_noob_hunter
I’m personally a fan of having a havalon/outdoor edge and then a fixed blade such as the Alaska knives line I find the combination works for about scenario I run into
Thats kinda what I was thinking. I have a 3" outdoor edge but the edge retention on the blades isnt very great. I want a fixed blade alongside the replaceable blade. I'm thinking probably the Kestrel Ovis Hunter as they have it marked off 31%

I have an izula along with a butt load of sharpy pokey things. I think it is a bit lacking as a camp knife but nice and nimble as a skinner.

For your budget - max $170 - I would buy a havalon piranta for $40 (with a pack of extra blades) and an ESEE 4 plain edge for $95. I would blow the remaining $35 on rotisserie chicken and beer.

The havalon is a hell of a skinner and can breakdown most anything if used properly. The ESEE 4 is stout enough for a little bush craft, popping joints and can be batoned through a deer rib in a pinch. As to the rest, who doesn't need chicken and beer...

Last edited:

wesfromky

WKR
Might look at a southern grind jackal pup - I really like mine. I also picked up one of the R&N/Kifaru blades as well, and it looks pretty sweet but I haven't used it yet.

Links: