Tok Air Service

Booked with Tok Air Service for September 2025. Anyone on here have any experience with hunting caribou out there? If so, would love a PM. With the 50lb weight limits etc I would love to hear what you brought and what was/wasn't worth bringing etc.
Also, would love to chat with you about your overall experience with the operation and what I need to be prepared for! This will be my and my buddies first caribou trip (but not our first hunt in alaska).

AKBorn

WKR
I have hunted caribou in the 40 Mile country for many years, and have posted the hunt stories on this forum. Read back through them, should give you a decent idea of the country. Feel free to PM any question you might have after going through the old stories.

The 40 mile country is a very special place. You guys will have a fantastic hunt with Tok. Buy the lightest gear possible and leave the bear fence at home.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My company rents rafts to many air operators' river groups in the Interior. I have gotten satisfied and positive reviews from his groups for several years at least.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Zack didn't renew his Transporter license (lapsed) in 2021 but it wasn't suspended. He now operates as an Air Taxi Operator

I’ve hunted with Zack. He’s got a history of legal troubles and conflicts with the many people, organizations and govt’ entities he’s interacted with. Generally, he gets guys into good hunting areas. From my perspective the cons, far outweigh the pros.

Homer

FNG
Booked with Tok Air Service for September 2025. Anyone on here have any experience with hunting caribou out there? If so, would love a PM. With the 50lb weight limits etc I would love to hear what you brought and what was/wasn't worth bringing etc.
Also, would love to chat with you about your overall experience with the operation and what I need to be prepared for! This will be my and my buddies first caribou trip (but not our first hunt in alaska).
For a hunt with him do you just pay the hourly rate for flight time of a super cub? While he had his transporters license he charged quite a bit higher than the other hunt transporters in that area.

OP
S
The 40 mile country is a very special place. You guys will have a fantastic hunt with Tok. Buy the lightest gear possible and leave the bear fence at home.
Sounds like you have been in that country. Was planning to bring the Tp style tent with wood stove. Its the ultralight redcliff from seek outside so perfect on weight. Does most of that area have wood to be burned? I have seen a few caribou hunts that seemed to have literally no trees or wood at all. Others seem quite wooded. Will finding some wood to burn (even if it is wet) be possible?

ndbuck09

WKR
wood to burn is dependent on where you're dropped, but from what we experienced, you can scrounge up some wood. Have you huntied with the little tin can woodstove before? It can be pretty tedious to screw around with...and you have to additionally bring a saw which is not going to be less than half a pound. Oz are pounds and Oz in gear equals less food when hitting a 50lb limit. And plan for at least 2.5 days extra food than your trip length for delays...

Last edited:
Sounds like you have been in that country. Was planning to bring the Tp style tent with wood stove. Its the ultralight redcliff from seek outside so perfect on weight. Does most of that area have wood to be burned? I have seen a few caribou hunts that seemed to have literally no trees or wood at all. Others seem quite wooded. Will finding some wood to burn (even if it is wet) be possible?
Most of the 40 mile has timber. On my last hunt we took a stove, used it, but probably won’t do it again. Was cool, but juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.

BDWMT

FNG
Went with Zack a few years ago and had a great experience. Would go again without any hesitation. Was a good guy in every way to my group.

wyosam

WKR
Most of the 40 mile has timber. On my last hunt we took a stove, used it, but probably won’t do it again. Was cool, but juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.

That’s been how I often feel about the stove in my tipi. Exception comes when the wet weather just won’t let up. Things end up wet, and being able to get stuff dry can really help keep you focused on the hunt. Of course, if you have to make flight weight, comfort is going to get sacrificed somewhere. I’d leave my rifle at home before I’d leave my stove/tipi on a moose hunt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timvz26

FNG
We are booked and set to fly out on the 16th of September with Tok Air Service! We are all super excited, we also have a red cliff and large Uturn stove that we will be bringing, not sure what to expect weather wise but we are all prepared! How likely is snow in that area? I know it could snow in august but is it just a freak occurrence to get snow or is it a good possibility in mid September to see snow in that area then?