Toe Numbness

SURVEYOR

FNG
This is crazy I thought I was alone in this. I just got back from a AK Moose hunt and both of my big toes were numb for 2 weeks after packing meat. Also my thumb and finger tips were numb. Probably from the pack weight on my shoulders.

Marble

WKR
I've had issues like this for several years, but mine can be more attributed to neuropathy from chemo.

I can say that when carrying a heavy load, say 70+ pounds, I can get numbness all the way down one leg or another. Adjusting my pack/belt helps.

The first thing I definitely do not do is weighted hiking throughout the year. Cardio, weights, and core exercises take care of that issue.

I wish I had a solution for the OP. Could be swelling/inflammation, which could be a nerve being moved out of its channel, which would cause this issue.

Maybe ice, massage, or both may help?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I have had similar, I don't worry about it. When I started running again I had it for several months and it resolved on its own. I had it this year after my goat hunt. I've had it with heavy training in the military. For me I figured a nerve was getting compressed and irritated, I would tell someone to pound sand if the wanted to inject steroids or do surgery, so I saw no point in talking to anyone.

Mine has always just been annoying, not something that interfered with my life. I have had bilateral carpal tunnel release and that was a very good decision as ot was limiting my ability to do things.

waspocrew

WKR
My crispi boots will do this to my big toes - usually left more so than right. Tends to happen if I’m hunting for more than a few days.

I probably should look into a different pair of boots haha.

My crispi boots will do this to my big toes - usually left more so than right. Tends to happen if I’m hunting for more than a few days.

I probably should look into a different pair of boots haha.

Yeah this is kinda my thought too. I'm currently dealing with numb toe. I'm gonna buy a pair of Vivo boots to see if that fixes the problem for next time. I've never hunted 9 back country days in a row so i never had this problem with my boots. I'll still wear my boots for my day hunts as I do think they are comfortable but I think the uphill/downhill boot shifts caused this issue.