Toe Numbness

Hey guys, hoping somebody else has had a similar issue and can offer some advice, I tried searching but couldn’t find anything that helped. I just got back from a 6 day hunt and my big toes on both feet are numb on the front and around the side. It’s not from rubbing but more of a nerve issue. This happened last year as well and slowly got better over the year so I’m not overly concerned but just trying to find out if anyone has found anything that helps. I’ve tried 2 different boots and had similar results. I went to see a podiatrist last year and he said I should wear arch support insoles but that didn’t seem to do anything. Occasionally on very steep ascents I can feel like a nerve pinch on top of my foot that will tingle down to my toes so I’m assuming that’s when it happens but just not sure how to prevent it. I hike with a weighted pack at least once a week throughout the year and it doesn’t seem to happen then, but when I go on a longer 5+ day hunt by the end of the week I can feel the nerve pinching and the numbness starting to get worse.

Thanks in advance!!!

A few additional questions. Do you have diabetes? Have you noticed over the past few years that your feet get colder more easily or notice any hair loss in your lower legs? Have any low back pain? Have bunions on your feet?

Those are some common causes of general peripheral numbness in certain areas of the feet.

If it is just a mechanical compression of the nerves due to footwear, you might try moving to Altra’s. They have a wide toe box and are zero drop shoes. For a lot of people that puts less stress on the front of the foot and less compression on the mid foot. You do need to transition gradually to ensure your foot has enough strength. Sometimes, between the artificial arch most shoes have, plus the laces, that can put a lot of compression on the mid foot and angles the front of the foot downward, putting even more pressure on the mid and front foot.

Might be something to try. My wife and I love ours.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same thing happen two years ago. Definitely freaked me out a little bit, but as I researched it I learned it was pretty common among hunters and hikers wearing boots for extended periods. Seems like it’s either something that people just accept, or they try different lacing techniques to try to relieve some of the pressure points.

yfarm

WKR
Symmetric symptoms of both great toes sounds like a compressive neuropathy. May want to see a neurologist or physical med doc. Repeated injuries to a nerve can result in permanent effects. Resolve the shoe induced compression. Don’t know if nerve conduction or emgs are done of individual toes

OP
Thunder Chicken
I don’t have diabetes and haven’t noticed my feet getting cold or any hair loss and no bunions. I do get some lower back pain but not bad. I made the switch to Altras for trail running about a year ago as well.

Age? Past injuries?...
When was the last time you had your foot measured for fit? I ask because as we age, are feet typically get a bit larger as compared to young adulthood. From there I'd be looking at a possible spinal issue, from calcification narrowing the nerve channel to a past injury you might be unaware of. It's possible it's from a foot issue, but you've seen a podiatrist; did he order any imaging?

Lastly, get into a daily stretching routine. This will help with mitigating any possible injury, and will be beneficial if there is an injury or not.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Weird that this just came up. I had this happen last week on a hike/scout. My left big toe started going numb on my last mile or so out. I was hiking down hill on a fairly steep/rocky incline.

My wife who is an x-ray tech said it was more than likely a nerve issue due to my boots being tight or compressing a nerve. It went away after about 6 hours or so.

Loper

WKR
I’ve had numbness in my toes the last four years I’ve gone out west to hunt. The first time it was pretty cold in the single digits and I just thought it was due to the cold. Both my big toes were numb one worse than the other. I can’t remember if any of my other toes went numb. One big toe I began to get feeling back several weeks after the hunt. I remember the other big toes stayed numb for about 3 months before it slowly got better.

I did not see a doctor at that time or since. The last few years I’ve had little bit of numbness in one or both of my toes, but it wasn’t anything like it was 4 years ago.

A few additional questions. Do you have diabetes? Have you noticed over the past few years that your feet get colder more easily or notice any hair loss in your lower legs? Have any low back pain? Have bunions on your feet?

Those are some common causes of general peripheral numbness in certain areas of the feet.

If it is just a mechanical compression of the nerves due to footwear, you might try moving to Altra’s. They have a wide toe box and are zero drop shoes. For a lot of people that puts less stress on the front of the foot and less compression on the mid foot. You do need to transition gradually to ensure your foot has enough strength. Sometimes, between the artificial arch most shoes have, plus the laces, that can put a lot of compression on the mid foot and angles the front of the foot downward, putting even more pressure on the mid and front foot.

Might be something to try. My wife and I love ours.
I do not have diabetes.

I have noticed my feet get colder more easily but I live in Florida so it is t really an issue.

I actually have noticed in the last year or so that there is a lot less hair on the lower part of my legs. It looks weird when I get out of the shower and all the hair goes down in the same direction and then just stops at the bottom of my calf. My dad had the same thing happen to him when he became middle aged, I just thought it was hereditary, but he always said it was because he wore calf high dress socks to work everyday.

I do not have lower back pain.

I do not have bunions.

I sometimes have that issue if I over tighten the top of my boots. Something gets compressed in my lower calf above my ankle that makes my toes go numb after a while if it's too tight

OP
Thunder Chicken
Age? Past injuries?...
When was the last time you had your foot measured for fit? I ask because as we age, are feet typically get a bit larger as compared to young adulthood. From there I'd be looking at a possible spinal issue, from calcification narrowing the nerve channel to a past injury you might be unaware of. It's possible it's from a foot issue, but you've seen a podiatrist; did he order any imaging?

Lastly, get into a daily stretching routine. This will help with mitigating any possible injury, and will be beneficial if there is an injury or not.
I’m 41 with no injuries to speak of really, I broke the growth plate in my left knee when I was 12 but the numbness happens in both feet. The podiatrist did not order any imaging, he said that I tend to walk on the inside of my feet and felt I was irritating the nerve when going on extended hunts in steep terrain.

I’ve had numbness in my toes the last four years I’ve gone out west to hunt. The first time it was pretty cold in the single digits and I just thought it was due to the cold. Both my big toes were numb one worse than the other. I can’t remember if any of my other toes went numb. One big toe I began to get feeling back several weeks after the hunt. I remember the other big toes stayed numb for about 3 months before it slowly got better.

I did not see a doctor at that time or since. The last few years I’ve had little bit of numbness in one or both of my toes, but it wasn’t anything like it was 4 years ago.

I do not have diabetes.

I have noticed my feet get colder more easily but I live in Florida so it is t really an issue.

I actually have noticed in the last year or so that there is a lot less hair on the lower part of my legs. It looks weird when I get out of the shower and all the hair goes down in the same direction and then just stops at the bottom of my calf. My dad had the same thing happen to him when he became middle aged, I just thought it was hereditary, but he always said it was because he wore calf high dress socks to work everyday.

I do not have lower back pain.

I do not have bunions.

So, if you’re noticing your feet getting a little colder more easily and you’re loosing hair where you previously had it in your lower legs, that’s almost 100% due to mildly decreased circulation, usually secondary to some peripheral vascular disease. It’s nothing urgent or emergent, but just something to watch. It could be playing a role in your feet feeling more numb when there is some compressive footwear on.

Thunder Chicken.... which part of your big toe is numb? You said front and around the side. Which side? Medial side or lateral side? And when you say "front" do you mean the tip of the toe or the top where the nail bed is.? Any part of the bottom of the big toe numb as well?

Last edited:
OP
Thunder Chicken
Thunder Chicken.... which part of your big toe is numb? You said front and around the side. Which side? Medial side or lateral side? And when you say "front" do you mean the tip of the toe or the top where the nail bed is.? Any part of the bottom of the big toe numb as well?
The very tip of the big toes and then around the medial side. No numbness on the bottom or top where the nail bed is

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have same issue. I am type 2 diabetes, but my Dr. said mine is due to pinched nerve, he has me on metformin 500 mg. I still have some numbness, but not bad. I understand if my problem were related to diabetes the meds. would not help. So I have been told. Just for the record my blood sugar normally is anywhere from 95 to 127. Some people tell me that is not diabetes, maybe pre diabetes.

Last edited:

chasewild

WKR
I had numb toes when I wore a scarpa charmoz - they were too much. The numbess lasted a week.

Then I bought a more flexible boot and it solved the problem. I also added a custom insole.

This is not medical advice, so take it with a grain of salt.

That's a classic symptom of compression of the dorsal branch of the superficial fibular nerve to the big toe. It only innervates the medial and tip of the toe. The compression is occurring after this digital nerve to the big toe branches off from the other digital nerves, off of the superficial fibular nerve. Additionally, it also explains why you have discomfort while climbing steep terrain. My suspicion is as you climb, your boot is flexing directly above that nerve (possibly more than it should, i.e. excess boot material or too tightly laced boots) and the flexed material is putting pressure on that nerve and or pinching it. You also could have a neuroma there which is making the symptoms more prevalent and or a bone spur which is elevating the nerve to a more exposed location. However, with your symptoms being bilateral it's unlikely and more an issue of either how your feet are built or a boot design that is not for you. I would get new boots and go from there. Also not cinching your boots down so tight may help and or wearing a different thickness sock to change wiggle room.

Given the symptoms are isolated to the big toes, extremely unlikely it's a nerve compression any higher up than where described, Sure diabetes can cause neuropathy but unlikely this is the cause for you. A simple blood test can rule that out. The fact you have no symptoms with any other shoes (I am assuming this to be the case since you didn't mention it) it's absolutely the boots. If your boots are all leather, I would try switching over to a synthetic upper as the material across the toe box will be more forgiving and less constrictive compared to leather.

OP
Thunder Chicken
This is not medical advice, so take it with a grain of salt.

That's a classic symptom of compression of the dorsal branch of the superficial fibular nerve to the big toe. It only innervates the medial and tip of the toe. The compression is occurring after this digital nerve to the big toe branches off from the other digital nerves, off of the superficial fibular nerve. Additionally, it also explains why you have discomfort while climbing steep terrain. My suspicion is as you climb, your boot is flexing directly above that nerve (possibly more than it should, i.e. excess boot material or too tightly laced boots) and the flexed material is putting pressure on that nerve and or pinching it. You also could have a neuroma there which is making the symptoms more prevalent and or a bone spur which is elevating the nerve to a more exposed location. However, with your symptoms being bilateral it's unlikely and more an issue of either how your feet are built or a boot design that is not for you. I would get new boots and go from there. Also not cinching your boots down so tight may help and or wearing a different thickness sock to change wiggle room.

Given the symptoms are isolated to the big toes, extremely unlikely it's a nerve compression any higher up than where described, Sure diabetes can cause neuropathy but unlikely this is the cause for you. A simple blood test can rule that out. The fact you have no symptoms with any other shoes (I am assuming this to be the case since you didn't mention it) it's absolutely the boots. If your boots are all leather, I would try switching over to a synthetic upper as the material across the toe box will be more forgiving and less constrictive compared to leather.
Thank you, that was extremely helpful! I can confirm I do not have diabetes, I’ve had recent bloodwork for a physical. And you are correct that it does not happen with other shoes, I currently trail run in Altras and on the road with Brooks and have no discomfort. I’ve tried two different boots, Crispi Summit GTX (synthetic upper) and Schnee Beartooths, but maybe I am lacing them down too tight. I’ll experiment with some different lacing and different socks and see if that seems to help. Thanks again!

Im curious to see if you figure out what exactly is going on ! My wife and father in law have raynaud's syndrome and have terrible circulation in their extremities, but you would already know about that if you had it i think. I get numbness in the toes on my left foot when my lower back acts up, likely cause i slipped the bottom 2 discs on that side about 12 years ago.

I hate to be "that guy" but have you considered trying barefoot style shoes and boots to see if it helps? If ringworm is right i wonder if it'd help. Its all i can wear now that I've been wearing them for several years

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Happens to me every year. Heathy in shape, no diabetes. I season prep by hiking with weight 3 times weekly but some reason it doesn’t start until a straight week of doing it every day, really numbs the big toes, then pinky’s, then the one next to big toes. In that order depending on severity. Heavier loads for extended time make it worse. Typically regain feeling mid December. Did some research and found it’s more common than I thought.

I’ve tried many different boots and insoles with the same results.