Tobacco.

Ozz08

WKR
There was a quit chewing thread on another forum a while back that I jokingly bragged how "quitting was easy and I have quit at least once a day for the last year". Well shortly after that I cut my mouth and got a horrible infection. My doctor said it looked like a cancer sore and immediately ordered a biopsy. Wasn't cancer (thank god) but it was finally the scare I needed to quit for good. I chewed Copenhagen since I was 16(I'm 31 now) and I have not had a chew for more than 2 months. It feels great. How many of you guys have quit or are trying to quit chewing?

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I chewed Copenhagen for 12 years, and gave it up about 7 years ago. Good luck!

7mag.

WKR
I chewed a can of Copenhagen a day, for 11 years. I quit cold turkey, 9 years ago. I am very glad I did. Both of my brothers still do it. I worry about their health.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Congrats! It's gotta be one of the toughest habits to quit. I made it about 5 months this year, then bear season started...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Best to all trying to quit! One tough mudder to quit tobacco. Somehow I avoided ever starting, but have watched men tough enough to eat nails struggle for years trying to quit.

My daddy quit after 30 years. I'm so proud of him.

You won't regret quitting and you'll have more money for hunting, (especially if you smoke)>

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I started dipping at a very young age, around 9. I started dipping a can every couple of days at around 12 years old. I finally quit September 8th, 2009. Well over 20+ years tied to the can. I quit cold turkey and I can say I haven't really had the urge. I do get the urge to have a cig with a beer about 4 times a year though. I can put cigs down as quickly as I pick them up though. Thankfully my dentist can't even tell I ever dipped and I never so much as had a mouth sore.

I did have to have my gall bladder taken out this year and my doctors theory is it went bad from swallowing tobacco juice. Not sure if that is true but an older gentleman I know had bladder cancer and his doc swears its from chewing tobacco and swallowing the juice.

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
It is one tough mutha! The first 3-4 weeks were the worst. I had the withdrawal headaches going big time. I think I can count on one hand how many headaches I've had in my life and for the first few weeks of quitting I had a migraine the entire time! Now I feel good and chewing doesn't even really cross my mind anymore.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
I chewed and smoked for years and quit the smoking shortly after my son was born 15 years ago. Now chewing is a different sory as I quit for 2 years about ten years ago then on a scouting trip my partner had some and thats all she wrote. I have had a can with me every day since. I will quit eventually..

dotman

WKR
I tried but am not at that point where i'm ready to give it up, still loke it after 17 years. I'll do it someday but also know I have to want it to do it.

Dipped for 16 years...quit for 11...now at it again! Need to increase life insurance so I'll be quitting again soon.

Terrible and nasty habit, kinda feel like a loser-

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats to you Ozz08, and all of you that have been able to quit! I am a nurse in cardiac care, and I end up talking with people a lot who want to quit or are getting ready to do so. I have never been a tobacco user, but see the struggles many of my patients have in trying to wean and eventually quit cigarettes or chewing tobacco. Besides reducing cancer risk (the risk is actually higher for bladder and oral cancers than lung cancer, believe it or not) quitting tobacco is the number one thing you can do to improve your cardiac health. Nicotine, regardless of how of how it is ingested, causes constriction of blood vessels and drastically increases your chances for heart disease, blood clots and stroke. As someone mentioned above, you have to be ready to quit and want to do it or it won't work and even then it can be hard to kick the habit. Besides the money you'll save, the benefits to your health will be priceless, and I am sure you'll be able to hike faster and hunt harder when you go chasing critters this year!

Quitting can be tough, I think most states offer free QuitLine services that can help with support and sometimes even provide cessation aids like gum or patches at a reduced rate. If anyone is interested in quitting, let me know.... I will do what I can to provide cheerleading along the way :)

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 4 months smoke free feel great and really done this time! (quit 2 years once and started up again) I'm changing my life style adventures like hiking, elk hunting, etc are my focus.

littlebuf

Banned
i quit smoking a few years ago.once i wanted to quit it was really easy.the trick is wanting to.lots of guys know they should but dont want to,really. as far as the actual stopping of the action (smoking/chewing) its really very simple.dont put chew/cigarette in your mouth and your not chewing/smoking.really if you keep it that simple its not hard.i stopped one day and never smoked again,just didn't put one in my mouth and light it.

Drelk

FNG
2 months 4 days. No Copenhagen. I do use a nicottine lozenge a couple times a day. I'm almost thru with the lozenges.

BigWave

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you Ozz!

I have a thread going on another forum (not sure if its the one you're referring to). I started it almost a year ago and got many guys on board to quit both chew and cigs. I'm going on a year off of Copenhagen after chewing since I was 16. I'm 45 right now. Do the math. Hardest thing I've ever done. Good for you, stick with it!!!!!!

Quitting sucks. I have done it about 10 times. The last time I was pissed off for a year and now I am back on it. My buddy at work quit yesterday. I laugh at him because I know how it feels and have been giving him a rough time. But then again, we don't hold any back around here. He has a can taped to his cubicle and signs on it saying how weak he is and to just give in for a reward. It is all in good fun. Others have joined in the reindeer games. Good luck to those trying and congrats to the successful ones. I work in the building trades (maintenance now) and it is very common, more so than smoking.

dotman

WKR
Quitting sucks. I have done it about 10 times. The last time I was pissed off for a year and now I am back on it. My buddy at work quit yesterday. I laugh at him because I know how it feels and have been giving him a rough time. But then again, we don't hold any back around here. He has a can taped to his cubicle and signs on it saying how weak he is and to just give in for a reward. It is all in good fun. Others have joined in the reindeer games. Good luck to those trying and congrats to the successful ones. I work in the building trades (maintenance now) and it is very common, more so than smoking.

Yup, I have quit 20 or more times but it never takes because i'm not ready or reallt wanting to.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Been chew free since last sept and smoke free for 18 years. Chewing was the hardest thing for me to quit. I kicked alcohol and drugs in 1993 and chewing has been almost worse. Goodluck to all who have quit and are trying to quit.