To the mods…

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
I'm one of the guys that broke the rule last week, unaware of the new policy. I understand the reason for it now and don't disagree. My mistake.

I've asked a couple of the mods how to go about asking for help on a unit. Yes, I do a lot of my own research, and at times I think of things that aren't easily found online. Or, as was the case this past week, thought of weather impacts after the draw. Should I have thought of that before putting in for a second choice? Yep, probably so.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I’ll speak an opinion that probably isn’t going to be popular, I think unit number threads should exist. I would venture to guess almost every one of us has gone to the internet sleuthing to find info on a unit before deciding to apply/hunt there. Unit number threads aren’t the problem, it is when guys get super specific with information about specific spots in the threads that is the problem. I don’t share much info on units on the web but how else is anyone to get a basic understanding of terrain, habitat and animal populations without being able to ask, and for some units/places there may not be people that we know personally to be able to ask for information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
There is a thread just below this with a unit number in the title.

Unit numbers are available anywhere, specific info is the issue but these days I think the info is already out there!

I’ll speak an opinion that probably isn’t going to be popular, I think unit number threads should exist. I would venture to guess almost every one of us has gone to the internet sleuthing to find info on a unit before deciding to apply/hunt there. Unit number threads aren’t the problem, it is when guys get super specific with information about specific spots in the threads that is the problem. I don’t share much info on units on the web but how else is anyone to get a basic understanding of terrain, habitat and animal populations without being able to ask, and for some units/places there may not be people that we know personally to be able to ask for information.

Agree. Lots of general info can be shared without spoiling anything. I dont agree with deleting threads but I think locking the thread is ok as people can still PM and specifics stay private.

Yeah, scouting a unit is best but it just isnt always possible.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rokslide's goal is try and eliminate spot burning on this forum. One way is by not allowing new guys to post unit questions, lots of those guys are pumping for information while giving nothing back to the Rokslide community.

Those that contribute more to the community should be able to benefit from the wealth of knowledge here. So well known roksliders can post unit specific questions with the expectation that information will be exchanged by private message.

Here is standard response if you haven't seen it.

Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tracker12

WKR
Boots on the ground?
Nice if you live close enough to do that. If you coming from the east coast it's no feasible. I did a WY elk last year and receive some general information that helped me get into elk quickly. It was a specific area just terrain that I should look towards. I was appreciative. This year I have shared my tracks with two guys that drew that area this year. Hope it helps them out.

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t think this is an unpopular opinion. But i also don’t mind the decision, it makes total sense. Need to give if you want to get.

Rob5589

WKR
Once you've been around here long enough you see the patterns; late winter/early spring lots of new members asking for unit info. Many clearly state they haven't even researched before buying a tag. That is the issue. It isn't an active member asking about zone 25 in XYZ state. I've had unsolicited advice/information passed via pm and have provided the same for active members. That's how it should work.

Trial153

WKR
Members here have been super helpful answering some specific questions I have had. And I have done the same in private. I have also been asked questions via PM from newer members, not always pertaining to unit specific questions. I have at times taken the time to answer them…for the most part your lucky if you even receive a response back or a thank you.
I am at the point that I won’t even bother unless I recognize the member or see that they have history on this site and have participated in discussions and discourse.

I agree with the mod’s decision…spot burning sucks.

Jethro

WKR
but how else is anyone to get a basic understanding of terrain, habitat and animal populations without being able to ask,
You become an actively participating member of the forum. You interact with other members. Make some posts when it’s a topic that you have knowledge about. Get your name out there. Can be simple threads. What broadheads do you shoot, how many arrows in quiver, how do you tie your boot laces etc.. If somebody makes a good post, hit the like button. That gets your name out there and others will begin to recognize it.

You will begin to learn about other members. What gear they use, animals they harvested, trucks they drive, where they’re from. Even subtle hints about where they hunt. Once you start to recognize that, you are able to ask people questions via PM and a thread never has to be started. It takes time though to build that trust and relationship. Can’t waltz in with a “what unit” or “where to apply” thread.

I’m certainly no mega-rokslider, but if I have something that will help I put it out there. I post enough for others to recognize my name and know the info is good. My hunting buddy has hit up a fellow WKR via PM about the tag we drew. He lives nearby. Info we gained by being active on this forum.

IMO, that’s how it’s done. That whole post isn’t directed you, A12gauge. Just an answer to your question.

hobbes

WKR
Surprisingly enough, some of us traveled from the east multiple times years ago with otc tags in our pocket and just went hunting, knowing that it may take a few years of boots on the ground to have a feel for an area. We even landed on a dud or two and continued on trying to figure the mountains out. We found out the hard way that the mountains were a big place and would eat our lunch and kick us to the curb. I know that doesn't fit with the current immediate gratification culture, but hunting occasionally requires some work. It occasionally requires some sacrifice.

What a lot of folks would prefer is immediate success in beautiful and rugged country, or at least that sort of country in the background, so they can write some poetic mumbojumbo about how hard they worked in the backcountry to achieve success. When what they really want is someone to send them a pin and make it as easy as possible because otherwise they may have to put some time in to actually learn a few things on their own.

I'm one of the guys that broke the rule last week, unaware of the new policy. I understand the reason for it now and don't disagree. My mistake.

I've asked a couple of the mods how to go about asking for help on a unit. Yes, I do a lot of my own research, and at times I think of things that aren't easily found online. Or, as was the case this past week, thought of weather impacts after the draw. Should I have thought of that before putting in for a second choice? Yep, probably so.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have helped a couple folks with questions regarding Wyoming. I let them ask me in a pm about the unit and advice. I have done so enough that I can tell who has done research and who is just fishing for my work that I have already put in.