To Peep sight or not ?

cnelk

WKR
Looking for input from anyone who has switched from open sights to a peep sight on their ML.

Also looking for input from anyone that has stayed with open sights, from using a peep.

Advantages and disadvantages?

TIA

Put the williams peep sight on my MRX, shooting same hole at 50 yards. I haven't shot open sights in forever, going on a muzzy hunt in CO this fall. I have way more confidence with the peep. Perfect sight picture.

A 1.1” group at 50 ain’t too bad but you may be able to do even better with a peep.

fishslap

WKR
Go peep. I prefer it on my Lyman GPR. More instinctive aiming IMO. Accuracy improvement depend on how proficient the shooter is with open sights but I noticed better consistency/accuracy.

TX_Diver

WKR
I like the peep as it’s similar to my bow. I have not shot a lot of non peep open sights for comparison though.

I just threw out a bunch of my targets this morning!!!!! To me the globe sight and peep are like looking through a scope. Easy to align and get a good sight pic. I'm planning on working on a load with the BlackHorn. So far 100 and 115 vol produce tight groups with Thor 300 and ELDX 340's. That is if it's not 100 F like the weather is predicting!!!! I'll take some pics.

I can only shoot to 50 yards in my yard. Getting my best groups figured out then going to the range for 100 yards. I'll try 200 but don't know if my old eyes will see that far with open sights!!!

The 0.19 fiber is better than the 0.29. Doesn't cover up as much of the target. I do not like the reticle inserts from Williams.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Me and a buddy are going shooting our MLs tomorrow.
I’ll see how it goes and determine if I want to make the switch to a peep.

Thanks for the replies

Mtndawger

FNG
I tried the globe front sights with the reticle inserts. They worked great for the range and sighting in but not so much for me out in the field on game. They shaded the sight too much for me. So my optima is set up with stock front fiber optic sight and a peep/aperture rear sight. I’ve taken pronghorn and elk with it to 80-90 yards. My son took his first mule deer with it @ 40 yards last fall. I personally don’t plan on shooting over about 100 yards and though a little large on a pronghorn at that range, it works. I like that it is a primitive weapon and that there is some challenge and judgement involved in making a clean kill.

Last edited:
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I tried the globe front sights with the reticle inserts. They worked great for the range and sighting in but not so much for me out in the field on game. They shaded the sight too much for me. So my optima is set up with stock front fiber optic sight and a peep/aperture rear sight. I’ve taken pronghorn and elk with it to 80-90 yards. My son took his first mule deer with it @ 40 yards last fall. I personally don’t plan on shooting over about 100 yards and though a little large on a pronghorn at that range, it works. I like that it is a primitive weapon and that there is some challenge and judgement involved in making a clean kill.

Thats the kind of feedback Im looking for. Thx!

My preference is the Williams Western Precision front globe with the small .019” fiber optic. To my knowledge, this is the smallest fiber optic on the commercial market.

.019 top and .029 bottom:

IMG_6903.jpeg

Put the Williams sight on my kid's muzzleloader today. Took it outside and quickly realized that I couldn't see the front sight......I had her come out to see what she thought, and she said "What do you mean it's not clear? It looks awesome!"

My eyes are getting so crappy as I age. I'm going to go sob by myself now. lol

Based on what you can shoot at 50 with open sights, I wouldn't bother changing a combo that works...

Hnthrdr

WKR
Switched from open to globe and peep, not a giant change in accuracy for me, I do prefer my new set up, but the old open sights were better for dark timber imo. I do have a ghost ring with a glow ring for my peep now and a fiber optic in the front globe which feels like a good compromise since a lot of time is spent in the timber. I would be worried about an early or late encounter with one of those tiny peeps… but I’d ask someone who has had an encounter like that to answer

I would be worried about an early or late encounter with one of those tiny peeps…
Check out the large aperture rings available including “twilight” apertures (or take the aperture out and shoot it like a ghost ring) for low light.