Titanium actions

Weldor

WKR
Who has re-barreled a titanium action? Just curious if anyone ran into galling problems?

Last edited:
Who has re-barreled a titanium action? Just curious if anyone ran into gulling problems?

I have a Pierce Skele Ti action. It is fully DLC coated. I’ve not had any galling but it is nowhere near as smooth as a traditional steel or stainless steel action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
Thanks for the info, I have a fierce titanium. Same here not as smooth as the stainless action. I was hoping it would wear in some.

Wrench

WKR
I have one of the remington ones with barely 4 digit serial number....it's never going to be smooth. I tried for 20 plus year.

Pretty sure @Weldor is talking about unscrewing the old barrel. I see it at work a fair amount. Usually when using regular carbon metal made up to stainless.

Since the action is TI and the barrel is not, there is a definite chance of the threads being galled when unscrewing the barrel.

Tmac

WKR
What is 'gulling', and 'falling'.....?
Galling is what they meant. Auto correct got them I presume.

Galling is adhesive wear that is caused by the microscopic transfer of material between metallic surfaces during transverse motion (sliding). It occurs frequently whenever metal surfaces are in contact, sliding against each other, especially with poor lubrication.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
That is my concern for sure. (galling) when unscrewing the old barrel for a new one.

Not a ton of experience with titanium actions, but I did own a PROOF Glacier Ti and still own a Remington Custom Shop 700 Ti. Rebarreling shouldn't be an issue.

Overall though, I'd say the benefits and drawbacks of titanium receivers are both overblown. Don't expect it to be as smooth as a Tikka or Mauser, but it works fine for hunting. At the same time, if you need to lose the final few ounces of weight on an ultralight build, titanium is a good way to save weight, but those ounces will cost a ton!