Tire Plug - Temporary or Permanent

Got a flat on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere on my Nittos. Plugged and fixed on the spot. It took two plugs to seal up the tire, but it's been holding air steady for 2 weeks now and have driven over 200+ miles on the plug.

I called Discount Tire, and they are looking at it today. They said it may not be able to be permanently fixed.

My question is, do I even waste my time have Discount look at it or should I just continue driving on the plug and not worry about it?

Tire has about 45%-55% tread left.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I wouldn’t mess with that tire. Nothing worse than a flat, well maybe a blow out at 75 on the freeway. Can you turn it into a spare and put the spare on?

OP
O
I meant, do you have a full size spare. Can you swap them? My truck has 5 matching tires…
I do have a full-size spare, but the spare is mainly a basic road tire whereas the tires on my truck are AT terrains and much better tire. The spare does not match the tires on my truck.

intunegp

WKR
In my experience plugs are good to go. If the tire is holding air then the plug is doing it's job. Never seen one "torpedo" out of the hole or be the cause for future issues. When I was 18 or so I picked up a nail in the rear tire of a sport bike I had purchased several months prior. In the process of plugging it I found four other plugs that had been in the tire the whole time I owned it.

SDHNTR

WKR
I think tire shops largely use scare tactics to sell you new tires. I’ve never had a plug give out on me, but those have just been single plugs for a typical nail in the tread. If it was anything bigger that needed multiple plugs, or anything in the sidewall, I might think twice before flying down the highway at 80mph and would want an inner patch repair (if in the tread) or a new tire.

OP
O
I think tire shops largely use scare tactics to sell you new tires. I’ve never had a plug give out on me, but those have just been single plugs for a typical nail in the tread. If it was anything bigger that needed multiple plugs, or anything in the sidewall, I might think twice before flying down the highway at 80mph and would want an inner patch repair (if in the tread) or a new tire.
Fortunately, the hole was in between the tread in the middle of the tire. I pulled my 5th wheel on about 40 miles of dirt/rock roads then another 150+ miles on highway with no issues.

Thinking I'm good so just cancelled my appointment with Discount.

OP
O
I wouldnt think twice about it. Have never had an issue with a tire that I plugged.

Now tires that are 45% are just begging to find a sharp rock, add in the fact that were going into winter..............

These Nitto ATs were the first tire I've had where I got a flat and there was more than 10% tread. The other flats I've gotten over the years have been with tires that were due/overdue to be replaced. I ususally run mud terrains but they are expensive and don't last as long.

I'm looking at this as a one-off scenario, but if I get any more flats, I'll be going back to MTs.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
As long as the plug isn't within ~1" from the sidewall, you should be fine for most conditions. If it is close to the sidewall, take it in and have them dismount the tire and check for any cracks, delam, etc.

They are technically considered temporary emergency repairs until you can get it to a shop who will replace it with a patch from the inside, I can't say I've ever heard of one properly installed failing.

I used to work at a tire shop, FWIW.

OP
O

JLP

FNG
I currently have two plugs in one AT tire on my F150 and no issues for 2k miles.

The real answer is if the cords are damaged and how nice your truck is.
Heavy weight pulling 5er. If it does blow at minimum its beating the fender or bedside to crap on your truck.
For me it wouldn't be worth it for a $300 tire but maybe the possibility of an insurance claim doesn't bother you?