Tire Chains

I may be the odd one out, but we run a lot of chains at work on pickups, trucks and telehandlers. Quality brand square link camlocks have seemed to be the best. Throw away the camlock tool they give you and fab a good sturdy long handled tool to get some purchase and get things tight. I keep a compact floor jack in the truck toolbox and will jack each corner up and get them bitch tight if shits going to get real. always zip tie the tails back to a link against the sidewalls. I only run snubbers if I can't jack each corner up.
I think possibly I set the cams up where forward rotation was opening them if that makes since.
Sagebrush hitting the cam.
Where if I had swapped sides the cam would be forced further closed if it hit something.
Just a guess.
I need to ask my logging buddies but I don't think they run cams.

Tod osier

WKR
I think possibly I set the cams up where forward rotation was opening them if that makes since.
Sagebrush hitting the cam.
Where if I had swapped sides the cam would be forced further closed if it hit something.
Just a guess.
I need to ask my logging buddies but I don't think they run cams.

I called a couple chain manufacturers and the consistent message I got was that mud type chains should be traditional type without cams, since they are stronger without cams. I know a lot of people use chains with cams successfully, but that was they said.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Do you guys have cams on the inside and outside of the tire?

Have never had problems with the cams, but the chains fit my tires pretty good so getting that last cam over is pretty tight. All my chains are big truck chains cut down to fit. end up with 3 cams.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I live in southwest Montana and also have been doing a bunch of steel delivery this year in the winter. I've thrown chains more times than I care this year. Cams are worthless. Don't spend the money. I don't really notice the difference on V Bar. I think the most important is sizing them correctly and learning how to put them on good and tight. If you aren't good at that drive a 1/4 mile and then tighten them and repeat this process until you can't anymore. I use the rubber spider tensioners and put one 1/2 way between every cross bar. It usually takes two sets. I also make sure that they are a bit undersized so you really have to stretch them to get them on. Chain up fronts first and then rears. If you have trailer brakes and are pulling a trailer chains on one set of tires can be a life saver and its worth the extra time to put them on. Make sure that your chains are just big enough that you can put them on without driving onto them so you can put them on when you are stuck. I should do a youtube tutorial on it, but it makes a big difference on getting them on correctly. Your rig will ride better and you won't beat it up or have them slip around the tire.

I am really surprised to hear so many not like the cams, what issues do you have with them?

My chains fit so loose they are easy to put on, usually get one cam over and then drive 50 yds and get the other two. Always very tight.

I am really surprised to hear so many not like the cams, what issues do you have with them?

My chains fit so loose they are easy to put on, usually get one cam over and then drive 50 yds and get the other two. Always very tight.
I ran mine for 4 days straight this year.
Every time I got out of the truck at least one cam was open.
I still have to run tensioners, so why bother and pay for cams?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

I think I will be going the cam route...

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I ran mine for 4 days straight this year.
Every time I got out of the truck at least one cam was open.
I still have to run tensioners, so why bother and pay for cams?
Isn't there a way to lock them? Maybe should be.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2500Ram with 285s , plus mud flaps inside the wheel well.
I run V Bars on the back, cables on the from because of less room.
All good here but I don't speed either

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Probably best for me to go with the studded chains for maximum traction in snow.

Doesn't sound like chains will be of much help either way in MT gumbo.

CCooper

WKR
I have never had a cam come open on Quality's unless there was some serious tire spin or I side-walled them. But again, I get them tight. Think 2' cheater on the last cam.

Probably best for me to go with the studded chains for maximum traction in snow.

Idk I needed them just to stay up on the hard pan of the road. It was hard but about 3" of slime.
Like driving on ice.
Don't think I could of kept it out of the ditch without chains

I have never had a cam come open on Quality's unless there was some serious tire spin or I side-walled them. But again, I get them tight. Think 2' cheater on the last cam.
Yeah 2nd gear 5k rpm 45mph ish wheel speed. Hanging one side in the sagebrush for more traction going up a 2 track that no one had broken trail on yet.
Really I needed a snowmobile.

hunterjmj

WKR

Chains will definitely help you in the gumbo. Several times I've had to chain up in mud otherwise I wasn't going anywhere. Wouldn't go anywhere here in Mt without my chains. They've gotten me out of so many times in snow and mud.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Chains will definitely help you in the gumbo. Several times I've had to chain up in mud otherwise I wasn't going anywhere. Wouldn't go anywhere here in Mt without my chains. They've gotten me out of so many times in snow and mud.
I had them for my old Grand Cherokee for years and never used them. I'm sure there will come a day though...

One time my wife and I were driving in in the morning - first ones back the road. Going down a small hill the snow started getting deeper. I would have stopped but there was nothing I could do going down the hill to turn around. So I just put the hammer down. We ended up going through this snow drift that had snow going over the windshield. Dark out and it was like somebody dumped a loader bucket of snow on the windshield. Turned the wipers on and plowed through it. Never will forget that.

We made it back the road the rest of the way and elected to park at the bottom of the steep hill that had switchbacks and walk the extra mile up it to our desired parking area. Had the chains in the back, but figured the best bet was to part the vehicle after that!