Tire chains

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I’m a flat lander from Texas. I have no use for tire chains here at home, so I’m ignorant to this situation. I’m heading up to southwest Colorado to hunt elk during the 3rd rifle season. Dates are November 2-10. I’ll be truck camping between 7,000 and 8,000 feet of elevation. I have a few questions.

First, do I need tire chains for this hunt?

Second, if I do need tire chains, how many do I need? I drive a 4x4 dually with a flat bed on it. Is four sufficient or do I need 6? How do you attach them to the inside duals if i

Lastly, I don’t know anywhere to get tire chains around here. Is there somewhere between central Texas and Durango, Colorado that I can stop and pick some up on my way up there?

Thanks for any help y’all can provide.

I would definitely bring them as a cheap insurance. If you only buy one set I’d definitely put them on the rear only. Amazon seemed like the easiest way to get them.

n2mywake

FNG
If we are going deep (even in archery) we take them. The dust on the road turns to slick mud quick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
if you did not have dually I would say to gamble and not get them. but if the jackrabbit pees in front of your truck you may just set there.

I always carry them as kickers for the out side tire.

and if you get some practice putting them on. you have to know they fit as well as how to put them on.
once you make up your mind you need them and you are going to get dirty you can put them on pretty fast.

first make sure they are straight and not twisted then
drape them over the outside tire then crawl under and latch the inside chain, now you can hook up the outside [as tight as possible]

ebubedike

FNG
If you ever need them you'll be pretty surprised how much they help; they'll get you in to and out of some pretty nasty stuff. Les Schaub has a deal that if you buy some and don't end up using them, they'll give you a full refund.

They are one of those things if you bring them you probably wont need them and if you dont bring them you will have wish you would have. Bring them to be safe. Order some online to make sure they fit and practice putting them on before hand.

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
My truck owners manual says never to put chains on the front axle and never to put chains on a dually. What say you icy road experts?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My truck owners manual says never to put chains on the front axle and never to put chains on a dually. What say you icy road experts?
Dually trucks suck in the snow even with chains, if you can't use them your truck won't be much good to you with any kind of weather

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd definitely get chains for the rear, sounds like your truck lacks the clearance to run them up front. Hope the weather is good

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

BullElk

FNG
more often than not I put them on the front(steering,braking all happen up there). all of my last couple trucks have been lifted though and that matters for clearance. you can definitely put them on the rear and shouldn't have any issue doing so.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Being from Colorado and have driven around enough, unless you plan on being really off road I havent ever worried about chains with a 4 wheel drive truck (non dually though). Better off just getting a new set of snow rated tires that you will use and some weight for the bed.

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Where would the clearance issue on the front axle be, on the fender wells or the brake lines and suspension? If it’s just on the fender wells, there’s plenty of clearance there. How much will the chains increase the diameter of the tire, a couple inches? By the way, the truck weighs 10,000 pounds. The flat bed is heavy, along with all my tools and air compressor mounted to it. So it’s not exactly a dually with no ass.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Call Blue Jay Industrial in Hayden Idaho and talk with them. They make their living selling tire chains and rigging and have great customer service and great prices. They’ll get you taken care of.

rayporter

WKR
putting kickers on the dually wont hurt a thing if you have the clearance. and even a Chevy should have enough room under the fender for chains on the outside dual. duallies are notorious for sitting in the snow and not moving.

now if you get real chains that cover both tires that is another story. you might need serious room then. some of these are real hard to get tight.

might need more than a couple inches if you don't get them tight- but you got the idea. if they are loose they will sling off and ......well it might be a bad day.

as a general rule most folks just put them on to get out and then take them off. on ice I have run many miles with chains but that is not normal.

in 84 I went over wolf creek with a 2 wheel drive pulling horses and I chained up the front, too, for that. got some funny looks but I had no trouble.

mcseal2

WKR
I take them for all 4 on my F350 single wheel truck and for all 4 on the Polaris Ranger. I seldom need them, but they don't take up much room and are priceless if I do need them. Both those vehicles get used on the ranch too, so I have to have them for that anyway. Since I already own them they always go along.

Jimss

WKR
You may want to look at your truck's owner's manual. According to my Tundra manual I shouldn't use chains.....as metioned above it may screw up brake lines, etc. If you only have 2 chains put them on the front or you won't be able to steer in gumbo mud! If you only have chains on the front and are on a steep sidehill your rear will slide down the hill....not good! It's best to have them on the front plus back.

I've hunted Colo the past 30+ years and would highly recommend a 4 wheeler or side-by-side when it's super muddy....or figure out spots where you don't need to chain up. It's pretty rough getting up well before daylight and riding very far in a 4 wheeler...better be dressed for it! It certainly saves wear and tear your truck though. I'm not sure how many bad predicaments I've got into...even with chains on my truck. When your chains break from driving on rock you may want a back up plan to fix them..,,or an additional set of chains and rubber chain tighteners. I usually have extra links, rubbers, fasteners, etc. It's never fun putting chains on if you are stuck or tires and truck are already coated with muck.....it's wise to put them on well in advance!

Once the weather gets cold enough and things freeze up it's possible to drive around a lot easier. Just remember what's frozen in the mornings may be gumbo when it melts all day.

BadDogPSD

WKR
The main issue with chaining the fronts is the brake lines.
For the rears, you can just chain the outer tires, or buy a set of chains made for duals.
Buy some quick links or repair links in case you break one.
Buy tensioners and use them. I'd use two on each wheel. Extras are a good idea as they can break. Truck chains are heavy and they will want to pull away as the tire rotates. Driving slower helps too.
Practice putting them on before you leave so you know how to do it, and to verify they fit.
Cables chains suck and won't last on a heavy truck, buy quality... Pewag is a good brand, but you will pay $$$$. A chain with the ONORM rating is a good chain. A broken chain is of no use and can beat the crap out of your truck.
Don't wait until you're stuck to try to put your chains on, it's really difficult, maybe not even possible in some situations.
It's nice to have a tarp to put down so you don't get too soaked putting the chains on...
After they are on, drive a few hundred feet and recheck the tension. Keep them as tight as possible.
I've bought chains from tirechain.com and have been happy. They also sell on Amazon.
Good luck on your hunt!

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
The snow and ice are only part of the story. The mud is some areas is even worse. Loam up to your shins is a real good time! Every few years I get down on my knees and thank God for my chains.

Last year, 30+ cars stuck on Loveland Pass coming back from late elk season. Got past just before the interstate closed. All 4 chains on truck pulling a trailer for 30 miles.

Htm84

WKR
I’d get a set if I was you. You could wait til you get to Colorado and check the forecast. But then your gambling on if you can get a set locally and probably at a premium. But like others have said better to have them and not need them then the other way around.

If you ever need them you'll be pretty surprised how much they help; they'll get you in to and out of some pretty nasty stuff. Les Schaub has a deal that if you buy some and don't end up using them, they'll give you a full refund.

I ended up getting a set of les Schawbs from a Salvation Army for 2 bucks. Brand new still with the receipt in the carry case. Super lucky they fit my truck. Put them on in the driveway one time just to see how they fit. Never touched them after. They just ride in my tool box.