tire chains

ST52v

WKR
What's everyone running on their trucks? We are new to the idea of chains and any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Robin

What kind of terrain? I run them quite often and i like to run the vlink chains as there is usually ice and snow and i find that i dont slide side to side as much. A little more pricey but well worth it. Now if your talking highways that need a bit more traction then stay away from them. I had to drive on 1/2 mile of pavment and i couldn't get above 5mph with them it was so rough. I ended up going down in the ditch just to be back in dirt.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spend the extra for the better ones. Usually if I'm chained up it means shits pretty gnarly and last thing I want to happen is for my chains to fail.

i took a set of 11r22.5 truck tire chains and cut them to fit so they're heavy duty. ive never actually used them though, if i do, its time to head home...

I cant remember the name of mine. I told the tire shop that i wanted the heavyest duty chains i could get for all light truck applications. They did some research and ordered these for me. I could take a picture of them if you want to see them. I have been in 3 ft of snow several times. Broke through drifts, and gone up steep slopes that would make a four wheeler cry. Some of the places i would have never thought a truck could go but a little pushing and she made it there.

The down side to chains it you slide side to side. I was on a camber slope that was solid ice almost 3 inches thick. I was sliding to the down hill side but still had a ways to go. I chained up and it got much better, but that was with the vlink chains. I have been in similar situations with regular chains and they make it worse. Almost like putting rollers under your tires when it comes to ice and slopes that go across your road.

Those vlinks dig in another direction and keep you from sliding. But like i said above they are rough on anything but soft roads........

I decided to take some pics....

You can see how the vlink goes across the chain and adds to the directional stability. Mine are a little rusty. Its only been a couple of months since i used them.......

InDeep

WKR
Another one for vbar chains I drive a wrangler and deep snow is always a lot safer withem!

KMT

WKR
When I used to use chains, I used the v- bar style. Now, if the roads are bad enough for me to need chains, I don't drive.

Chains have saved my arse more then once. I think any chain is better then no chain when you need them. I have a Tacoma and the front control arm is so close to my tire that I have to run the cheesy cable chains and even they are better then being stuck somewhere. Its amazing how a little ice or mud can leave you stuck somewhere. One time I got stuck on a little frozen creek in my jeep. Sat there for hrs trying to get out. A guy came by and had a ranch jack and a set of chains. We put one chain on and I crawled right out of there.