Tips for learning compound bow setup

grainhog

FNG
I've decided to learn to do my own compound bow setup, tuning, and maintenance at home. I've shot a Mathews Heli-m for nearly a decade, and just bought a bare 29" V3x ($864 at Scheels!). I'm sick of paying ransom for parts and service to dealer techs who ultimately don't care about my bow. At home I can shoot to 60 outside and 10 inside.

Please let me know your tips for:
  • Best instructional resources and content (V3X preferred)
  • Best sources for mathews parts
  • Best sources for other parts and materials
  • Minimum equipment requirements
  • Best vice
Any guidance you might provide is greatly appreciated.

Best instructional resources and content:
Bow Shop Bible app

Best sources for mathews parts:
Most parts must be sourced through an authorized Mathews dealer. Mods and top hats are a notable exception, which can be purchased directly from Lancaster Archery Supply (among others).

Best sources for other parts and materials:
Between Lancaster and 3Rivers Archery, you can source nearly anything you might need (except for dealer-only OEM parts).

Minimum equipment requirements:
Bow press so you can change strings/cables, adjust cam timing, and swap top hats. An LCA EZ Green is a popular press choice.
Draw board so you can check cam timing.
Draw weight scale

Last edited:
OP
grainhog

grainhog

FNG
Best instructional resources and content:
Bow Shop Bible app

Best sources for mathews parts:
Most parts must be sourced through an authorized Mathews dealers. Mods and top hats are a notable exception, which can be purchased directly from Lancaster Archery Supply (among others).

Best sources for other parts and materials:
Between Lancaster and 3Rivers Archery, you can source nearly anything you might need (except for dealer-only OEM parts).

Minimum equipment requirements:
Bow press so you can change strings/cables, adjust cam timing, and swap top hats. An LCA EZ Green is a popular press choice.
Draw board so you can check cam timing.
Draw weight scale
Thanks! So, of course everyone on this forum does everything above board, but have you ever heard whispers of any sort of gray market for dealer-only parts? It's bs in my opinion that they don't make them available to people who want to do the work themselves.

Thanks! So, of course everyone on this forum does everything above board, but have you ever heard whispers of any sort of gray market for dealer-only parts? It's bs in my opinion that they don't make them available to people who want to do the work themselves.

Most dealers will sell you parts.

Only a handful of companies will sell their parts outside of dealer network. I'd bet it's less than 10% of bow owners work on their bows, of that's its probably less than 50% should be. Bow companies sell more bows by using dealers than not, so they aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them.

Kinda why you don't see the companies that will deal with customers available at a lot of Archery shops.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Mighty mouse covered some critical Intel. I would offer up the OMP vise. It's sturdy and allows you to quickly & easily hold bow in position needed for you ergonomically .

Not sensing that you would do this, but don't cheap out on the bow press. Gotta go beefy so it's safe and secure to work on your baby