Tipping in New Zealand

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I realize that tipping is a subject that has been beaten to death on RS. but I couldn't find anything in tip threads on New Zealand. Most everybody I guide is very generous and I usually receive between 10-20% and that's what I try to tip any guide I have used in my hunts in the U.S., Africa and Canada which is where I've hunted. So this question is on New Zealand which I leave for on Monday. Do you tip in New Zealand? I ask because I hired a fishing guide in Australia last year he did a great job we caught fish and when we docked I tried to give him a fair tip. He was insulted and told me that he was not an American and the price is the price. My son who has lived in Australia for the last 5 years says that they never tip in everyday life that we would tip for in the U.S. So you guys that have been there for Red Stag and Tahr did you tip your guide the standard 10-20%?

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure on the response you'll get from experienced people in the area. Having said that on my contract for stag/tahr upcoming it specifically says on the contract tips are not included in the purchase price.

OP
C

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know my contract doesn't say anything about tipping I just figured I'd tip but for some reason i ticked off a fishing captain by trying to tip him, hard to figure.

If you’re ever curious about a tip I’d just directly ask the outfitter. Should be able to tell you if it’s a normal practice there and a typical amount.

Carlin59

WKR
I went on a management stag hunt on our honeymoon with a smaller guide service. The whole “no tipping in general in NZ” thing threw me for a bit of a loop. It felt awkward, so I asked the outfitter/owner directly if a tip would be appropriate/within protocol. He said he didn’t expect/need anything, but his cook and assistant guide wouldn’t turn down a tip. Gave him 10% to give to those guys, and I think everything turned out well for all parties. That was a long way of saying, just ask the outfitter upfront what is typical protocol and there won’t be any surprises to detract from the hunt.

Mojave

WKR
Prepare for a rant:

You are an American so you are required (expected) to tip.

10% of the daily rate or package is normal. Tipping is getting out of hand.

I tip $100 a day on most hunts. In Africa this is split between the PH, trackers, skinners, house lady and cook.

That is what I can afford. So on a 10 day hunt, the PH get's $700-800, and the trackers/skinners get $150-200 and the rest of the folks get the other $100.

I have never paid for a hunt in New Zealand. But the bastards know about tipping.

Do not tip more than 20%.

Tipping in New Zealand for the "public services" - i.e. wait staff at a restaurant, coffee shop, pub, cab driver etc.. is not expected and I did not do so while there for two weeks. Basically, any service outside of the Outfitter I never tipped. Once under the Outfitters care, I tipped as though I would have in the US i.e., for the guide, cook, etc.

Globally, hunting and tipping are "part of it" if you will and they all know it. Despite the customs in the country you are in, the "hunting community" is all aware of tipping. Some expect it, some anticipate it, some are simply grateful for anything offered. What you decide to do and how much is up to you. For the guide, I personally start at 10% of the hunt cost and then let the experience and effort dictate where I end up. I have once not given a dime and once given 20%. All other times it's been 10%.

Good luck and have fun. New Zealand is my number one country to visit thus far.

I’m headed to New Zealand next year with my dad and had this exact question, so thanks for the insight. My follow up question is, when I leave a tip (10-20%), do you give it to the outfittter with the understanding that he will divide it appropriately to everybody working for him (cook, housekeeper, etc)? Or do you guesstimate and split it up myself to give to each person yourself? Just not sure which route is the appropriate route.

When possible, I personally hand it to the person I am tipping. Cook, packer, guide etc. The only time I have given it to the outfitter is when I had more than one guide for the hunt. It was too complicated to figure out who deserved what. It occasionally happens that you‘ll have two different guides for a hunt or maybe an extra guide or two are added to your team in an effort to cover more ground and get your a shot opportunity as the days remaining to hunt tick a way. Just easier to let the outfitter figure it out if you can’t. I, however insured my guides knew I did tip them and that the owner/outfitter was given the money. They thanked me and replied that was usually how it works. So, I guess I did the right thing. But if you can, give it straight to the person tipping. Less transfer of hands the better.

JP100

WKR
If your guide doesn't want the tip...feel free to send it to me..........

Generally here in the hunting industry, tipping is normal.
I would say around 10% is probably average, but depends on the hunt cost.
10% on a 5k hunt is a different story to 10% on a 100k stag.....