Tipi stove question

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
Question, I plan to do some canoe camping this fall/early winter. Since weight won’t be a factor, would I be better off using a buddy heater instead of a wood stove? Would just be for heating up the tent occasionally before bed and in the morning. Not left on overnight. Seek outside cimmaron

Propane heat isn’t necessarily a “dry” heat. If you plan on trying to dry gear out, wood fire heat will probably be quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy heaters are okay for getting warm to drink coffee in morning or to stay toasty as you heat up a mountain house meal. Expect condensation.

If you want to chill in the tent by the stove while reading a book, drinking whiskey and waiting out a rain squall, wood is the answer.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
See above that is right on👊 wood heat whether in a wall tent or hot tent is the bomb 💣 over propane like night and day.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 38

Wrench

WKR
I'd have to agree with ross. Dry heat is priceless. The only thing propane offers is ease of use....but if you get weathered in.....wood rules.

SonnyDay

WKR
You can also cook food and keep food warm on a wood stove.

Condensation--the struggle is real.

Unlimited fuel is a bonus.

Be sure to bring a good saw to be able to make rounds (ideally out of stump/root wood) to last the night.