Tipi and Stove Limitations

I’ve never been in a tipi setup. Everything I’ve read when I’ve thought about buying one talks about how you have to get up multiple times to stoke the fire. That’s also necessary when using a heat source from a Mr Buddy or car heater. The area goes from toasty to barely better than the outside temps pretty fast. Where I don’t want to wake up during the night to tend something and I’m not going to buy and carry a big stove for backpacking, it seems to me that good sleeping in cold temps comes from a good pad, sleeping bag, warm clothes to sleep in, not a backpacking stove. Anyone agree or disagree?

I’ve never been in a tipi setup. Everything I’ve read when I’ve thought about buying one talks about how you have to get up multiple times to stoke the fire. That’s also necessary when using a heat source from a Mr Buddy or car heater. The area goes from toasty to barely better than the outside temps pretty fast. Where I don’t want to wake up during the night to tend something and I’m not going to buy and carry a big stove for backpacking, it seems to me that good sleeping in cold temps comes from a good pad, sleeping bag, warm clothes to sleep in, not a backpacking stove. Anyone agree or disagree?
Totally agree and i am a "stove guy"...it should be the first priority,good sleeping bag and pad,a titanium stove is just a luxury,after a hard day falling to sleep with a red hot stove in the shelter is good for the bones and mind...but you need to stoke it all night long if it really cold.I use it before night and the morning only if i want a good night sleep .

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Agreed with reaper. I personally put a good bag and pad and clothing system ahead of having a stove. But then if I am going deep and during later seasons, you can bet that the stove is coming. It’s great to be able to come back and heat it up to relax/eat in. To me it’s a great mental thing. As well as heating up in the morning. In the later seasons, I tend to get up extra early just to be able to tend to the fire, warm the shelter up, and take my time getting around and warmed up, even if it’s sacrificing a little sleep. I also try to make sure I stock up on food and fluids right before bed so my body has plenty to burn throughout the night to stay warm also.

The first time you come back to your tent wet and chilled, and fire up that wood stove you will totally understand. Waking up to boots that are frozen solid to the point you can barely get your feet in them sucks.

If your car camping then you have all kinds of options and luxuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now we’re kind of consolidating usefulness, right? Drying clothes? In some cases that can be really helpful. There are other time tested ways of drying clothes, including a fire right outside the tent.

Staying toasty throughout the night seems tough by using a stove. I guess my point isn’t that backpacking stoves aren’t nice, maybe just that they aren’t magical because the major principles of warmth are based in clothes and sleeping bags/pads.

Maybe this is a pointless post.

So now we’re kind of consolidating usefulness, right? Drying clothes? In some cases that can be really helpful. There are other time tested ways of drying clothes, including a fire right outside the tent.

Staying toasty throughout the night seems tough by using a stove. I guess my point isn’t that backpacking stoves aren’t nice, maybe just that they aren’t magical because the major principles of warmth are based in clothes and sleeping bags/pads.

Maybe this is a pointless post.
Bag, pad and clothes are indeed a primary consideration.. So are the conditions where you hunt.. If you hunt where, in fall, it can go from the 60s and 70s and sunny to the mid teens and wet/snowy in an afternoon, a stove in the tent can save a hunt..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Hardcore backpackers are out at the same time and stoves aren’t big with them. Google for a couple minutes on how to dry clothes while backpacking and you’ll find a bunch of good options. If someone leaving early, that’s a mental choice assuming they have some quality gear outside of a stove.

Hardcore backpackers are out at the same time and stoves aren’t big with them. Google for a couple minutes on how to dry clothes while backpacking and you’ll find a bunch of good options. If someone leaving early, that’s a mental choice assuming they have some quality gear outside of a stove.
So.. If you have your mind made up as to how useless they are for badasses like yourself, why did you ask...?

Good bag and pad are a must. However, after multiple cold rifle seasons in a tent having frozen boots/water/clothing was rough. I car camped and used a Mr.Buddy last year, and it kept me out in the field more days from dry/warm boots/water/clothing. This year I'm investing in a Seek Outside Tipi & Ti Stove. I love the back country style hunts but when every night is below 0 and the days are wet and cold. The stove is the only way to go.

So.. If you have your mind made up as to how useless they are for badasses like yourself, why did you ask...?

I got it. You loooove stoves. No doubt stoves can be sweet if you are okay with the price and weight. My post was intended to be about fire stoking and warmth for sleeping, not on how it’s so incredible for drying clothes. I appreciate your thoughts.

I got it. You loooove stoves. No doubt stoves can be sweet if you are okay with the price and weight. My post was intended to be about fire stoking and warmth for sleeping, not on how it’s so incredible for drying clothes. I appreciate your thoughts.
Its not just about dry clothes.. But, you do you..

I’ve never used a stove in a backpacking situation and the coldest I’ve had to camp in would be this last season on my dad/uncles second rifle season here in CO where winter came early and temps had to be around zero. I use a super tarp without an annex (not by choice but good luck getting an annex) and have a BA axl air insulated pad and a cheap Kelty $80 5 degree bag with a sea to summit liner. I was definitely cold but slept through the night all 3 nights during extreme cold and extreme weather. I think it’s all about staying dry and toughing it out. I basically a paint guard for painting inside your house as a ground cloth. I honestly think I could survive even colder temps with an annex. Stove would be great but don’t have the room or the need and I’m a bow/ muzzy hunter anyway

That’s because they are constantly moving, creating body heat not sitting on a windy ridge behind glass all day. Backpacking and backcountry hunting are not one and the same. And most of your regular backpackers are not venturing into the backcountry come October.

I usually only take my stove when they are calling for rain/snow later in the season. Most times I do without but when the weather turns and your still up there it can improve morale and get your gear dry again. But to each his own. If you don’t want a stove, nobody is forcing you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with what you read/watch on backpacking. They are usually carrying less than 30-35 lbs. Often they are talking about above 0 temps, and are hiking or eating/sleeping. I don't know about you, but that's not how my day is spent late season hunting.

Yes, it is a mental choice. However, I'm going to hedge my bets and be prepared and comfortable so I can stick it out when the hunting gets tough. If you want to rough it then rough it.

People with smaller Ti stoves have to stoke it 2-3 times per night. Larger Ti stoves 1-2 times per night. The very large Ti stoves, just once. Also, using larger logs that have to be cut will help reduce this count versus wood you can break with hands/knee. Also, shelter size will play a roll in this as well.

Also I use a fire outside to warm up before bed and in the morning I don’t use my tarp to get away from the weather just to sleep and keep my shit dry

Yes but the stove will help provide the mental edge for both warmth some drying and plain comfort during the down time it is a very good item in areas where either wet cold or long nights or all of them.
I agree they are definitely better to have than not. If you’re willing to tough it out though don’t think that you can’t do it without a stove. You just have to chatter some teeth to get it done and better have your gear and clothing setup dialed in and proven

A stove has been such a mental thing for me since getting one 4-5 years ago. I'll hunt in much worse weather knowing I can lite it when I get back and get uncomfortably warm in a few minutes. Several years ago I spent the last three mornings of my hunt Inside my little 2 man tent due to rain. I can't imagine what those days would have been like sitting in my Helinox chair next to the stove.

I agree they are definitely better to have than not. If you’re willing to tough it out though don’t think that you can’t do it without a stove. You just have to chatter some teeth to get it done and better have your gear and clothing setup dialed in and proven
I'd rather stoke the stove than "Snyder" it and do 200push ups a night to keep warm.. Lol

Back