Tinnitus

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
Had it since my early 20’s. Lots of big booms and M16/M4’s……ever try to wear ear plugs and listen/talk on a PRC-77? Doesn’t work.

Pretty constant and loud ringing. It seemed to have gotten worse about 5 years ago with the added sound of static/rushing air. Probably just an age thing. I wear hearing pro for everything to preserve what’s left.

wyosteve

WKR
Had it for a while, but had a minor bout with Covid a few years ago and it seemed to have gotten worse since then. I just live with it.

I have constant ringing as well. 29 Palms is the ammo dump of the US Military. It sounds counterintuitive to tell this to a board of hunters, but we were on more than a few occasions after a CAX, completely exhausted firing off rounds of ammunition. Just like everything else in the Marines, we did it until it was no longer fun, and then we did it 8-12 more hours after that. I dont know why exactly these rounds had to be cooked off, but theyd send us out with a 5 ton full of 50 cal, 556, mk19, m203 rounds and we couldnt come back until they were gone. The ammo just kept coming.

I also shot a Hoyt the first 5-6 years of their carbon bows. So its 1 of those 2 things that destroyed my hearing.

LFC911

WKR
Yes, I can tell you exactly when it happened...December 4, 2019 10ish am, opening day of KS rifle deer season. I shot a mule deer buck in KS at 300+ yards across a canyon using my 300WM Remington 700 LR with a 4 port brake and no ear pro. I no longer have that gun and now have a suppressor and don't plan on hunting w/o it.
IMG_0850.JPEG

Weldor

WKR
Wait til you hear the birds chirping all day and nite. Had it for over 40 yrs, it just plain sucks.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I have occasional ringing. Sometimes a semi-loud noise will trigger it, but mostly it's just random. I have more trouble with not hearing my wife and kids when they're talking. Mostly it's when they're facing another direction, but all of them seem to have no problem understanding each other.

When I was a kid and we would target shoot, my dad would always make sure we would plug our ears with our fingers when someone else was shooting, but the person behind the gun never had any hearing protection. I'm not mad at him about it, but I'll make sure to do better for my kids.

Yoder

WKR
I have occasional ringing. Sometimes a semi-loud noise will trigger it, but mostly it's just random. I have more trouble with not hearing my wife and kids when they're talking. Mostly it's when they're facing another direction, but all of them seem to have no problem understanding each other.

When I was a kid and we would target shoot, my dad would always make sure we would plug our ears with our fingers when someone else was shooting, but the person behind the gun never had any hearing protection. I'm not mad at him about it, but I'll make sure to do better for my kids.
It was just what everyone did back then. I don't remember ever seeing anyone wear ear pro when I was a kid. My right ear got really messed up when I was about 14. My dad and I were walking in to check out a spot during shotgun season. I was about two steps ahead of him and a couple feet to his left. A nice 8pt ran right up to us. We both pulled up our guns and completely missed him at maybe 30 yards. My ear was almost right next to the muzzle of my dad's gun when he shot. It felt like someone shoved an ice pick in my ear. I thought it was bleeding. Ever since then, my right ear has never been the same.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Any of you get a Covid vax?

My wife has this pretty bad ever since her Covid vax that she was forced to take. Didn’t read the fine print that this is one of the possible issues later on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcfish

FNG
I have it bad in my left ear. I blame some of it on always driving with the window down and that constant howl of the wind. It got so bad that I ended up getting an MRI because the doc was worried about a tumor.

I'm pretty much used to it now, but I do have to play white noise on my phone at night to sleep.

Mojave

WKR
I have had it for a few years and mine is constant. It varies in volume and sometimes I barely notice it. Seems to be the worst when driving long distances. After an hour or two in the car it gets really loud.
This has to do with pressure.

49ereric

WKR
Didn’t wear hearing protection even when it was available on the triple drilling rig I roughnecked on.
Heavy equipment much of my life plus Chainsaw's lawn mowers and hunting all my life. Later in life I went with double ear protection but one day the left ear started ringing.
Just hope it doesn’t get worse.

fwafwow

WKR
Mine is constant. Years ago when it wasn't as intense, I noticed that it ramped up when I started taking a daily dose of "baby" aspirin. YMMV.

AZ8

WKR
Constant high pitch for me. I'm ok, until I think about it or read a thread about it. lol

White or background noise helps alot during the day. At night during bedtime it's the worse.

Way too many 80's metal concerts up near the stage/speakers did it for me. I was stupid. Wish I could go back and protect my ears, but too late for that.

CorbLand

WKR
White or background noise helps alot during the day. At night during bedtime it's the worse.
This is the same for me. Took me a bit to find out why I like to have a TV, music or something on when I am alone and its quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ8

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Two years ago I had my Eustachian tubes dilated due to pressure in my ears. My ENT doctor claimed it might help with the ringing and he was right. Not fully gone, but likely ~20% of what it was prior.

Still can’t hear a damn thing my wife says to me though.
That is what I associate mine with, usually have plugged sinus's at the same time that it is most intense, mostly in my left ear, just a high pitch squeal. Yep, too many rock concerts, some were definitely hard on the ears. Firearms all my life, and yes, "plug your ears kids". How the hell do they dilate the Eustachian tubes?

jgross424

FNG
Right there with you boys. had it for 12 years or so now. mainly only notice it when going to sleep so I sleep with white noise now which helps. Main advice is just to not try to fight it or feel any kind of way about it. Just accept and ignore as best you can

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
It is actually. Shitty website. There are other compounds like it also probably with better websites. Just search for the compound name and it should come up.

I wanted to add that I get mine from a compounding pharmacy in Burbank CA that the Dr at UCLA sent me to. The link is for the same thing I take just from a different company. I have sent that to a few of my friends over the years to give them some help.
What sort of time frame of taking this did you start seeing results?

Ten Bears

WKR
What sort of time frame of taking this did you start seeing results?

First saw the Dr. back around 2010ish. Saw some results within two months on taking them.

Start with the NAC first to see if it helps alone. Add the complex in afterwards, it’s just a supplement. My terrible science explanation of this is that it makes the cilia in the inner ear stand up instead of lay down.

I barely notice my tinnitus anymore unless I do something really stupid. I also take better care of my ears than I did when I was younger.