Time is up and I left him on the mountain.

MntHunter

FNG
Guys, this story may not be over just yet… I’m hopeful I can get Friday off work. IF I can make that happen I’m giving this buck 1 more run for his money. Would leave Thursday afternoon & drive through the night to hunt Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning.
Good luck!! Great hunt so far and really hoping part 2 happens!

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, this story may not be over just yet… I’m hopeful I can get Friday off work. IF I can make that happen I’m giving this buck 1 more run for his money. Would leave Thursday afternoon & drive through the night to hunt Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning.
Get after it!

The deer is incredible for 2024 in most states/areas. I liked the bear pic, just a really good pic. I agree that was a cool experience even tho u didn't punch a tag. You'll always remember that trip forever and you learned more than u know or think you learned.
That snake looked pretty good size and not fun. I don't kill them but I don't like them one bit. The elk was a amazing pic as well. Unguided hunts are great for so many reasons. Even if I was rich and money was nothing I would still be taking unguided trips to unfamiliar places.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The deer is incredible for 2024 in most states/areas. I liked the bear pic, just a really good pic. I agree that was a cool experience even tho u didn't punch a tag. You'll always remember that trip forever and you learned more than u know or think you learned.
That snake looked pretty good size and not fun. I don't kill them but I don't like them one bit. The elk was a amazing pic as well. Unguided hunts are great for so many reasons. Even if I was rich and money was nothing I would still be taking unguided trips to unfamiliar places.
Im glad you enjoyed the read. I agree 100%. It’s looking like I’m going to get a bonus 3 days to hunt that deer and be in some beautiful country this weekend. A long drive but I’ll sleep better at night knowing I gave it everything I could to get the job done.
I don’t kill snakes either… they don’t bother anything and I bet that rattler will never see another human in its lifetime. I’ve never hunted with a guide but my personal preference is to earn things the hard way (not that there’s anything easy about hunting with a guide). Even if I came out with nothing I learned a hell of a lot and have had a great time during the process. Hunting solo means one thing… all the failures and successes are on you and nobody else.

It is! Still hanging on in the velvet. Thought that was pretty cool.
I believe he was the only ram with an ear tag out of 7. There’s no sheep hunts in this unit & Im sure the DNR keeps a close eye on these rams.
I’d be careful throwing this kind of information around if you want to hunt this buck again. There’s a lot of folks out there between the pictures and these clues that will start to put together where this buck is hanging out. Just my two cents.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks for following along guys!
Looks like tag soup for me this year but it wasn’t due to a lack of trying! I’m excited for future seasons chasing these awesome bucks in some beautiful country. Saw the big buck Friday morning but was unable to make a move on him. That “Hunting not killing” saying has proven true once more.

Now it’s time to get my whitetail season kicked off as I have some studs located that I’m excited to hunt!
Forever blessed and thankful for these opportunities to do what I love.

Snowb1rd

FNG
Love the pics and the story. Shame you didn't get the buck, but definitely sounds like a great experience. Hoping to get myself out there next year

Be proud. I have yet to see a bear or sheep out on the mountain, and I live out here. As far as the buck, I've spend 5 days this month on a premium UT limited entry unit and not seen a buck that big. You did well.